• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

South Walians to save the economy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Walians to save the economy

Public sector workers in South Wales agree to a pay cut.

Neath Port Talbot Council pay drop 'a mature deal'

7,000 Staff at Neath Port Talbot Council have agreed to cuts in pay, overtime and travel allowances as part of the authority's cost cutting measures in a deal brokered by managers and the unions.

Welsh local government leaders said it was a "mature agreement" which would help safeguard jobs.

The one-year agreement is aimed at minimising compulsory redundancies as the council looks to close a £24m gap in its budget by 2014.

The council says it is the first authority in Wales to reach such an agreement.

The significant element here is a voluntary contribution which amounts to 2% for all those earning above £21,000, as well as the reductions in mileage and overtime allowances on top of a proposed three-year pay freeze.

The lowest earners will not lose any pay while "several thousand" staff will have a pay deduction of less than 2%.

Unison, which represents 3,000 staff at Neath Port Talbot Council, said the deal went through with a majority of about 2-1 in favour.

"The emphasis in the Welsh context is on saving jobs - we don't want to go the way of Manchester city council," said Mr Thomas referring to that authority's move to cut 2,000 jobs to save money.
    Not much chance of getting a contract down there, then.

Zeity, good news. They'll still be emptying your bins.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

If somebody would offer them the opportunity of getting back down the pits it would do a damn sight more to save the economy.

Then again, mining was always a dreadful occupation, so maybe they're better off farting about in local government.

Comment

I don't know how many times I've ranted to the effect of "WTF can't the management and unions just sit down with the accounts and work something out?"

It doesn't happen often and warrants highlighting.

It is the other end of the spectrum from the bone-idle toe-rags who 'work' for London Underground who go 'on strike' every time England plays or there's an event worth watching.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        If somebody would offer them the opportunity of getting back down the pits it would do a damn sight more to save the economy.

Then again, mining was always a dreadful occupation, so maybe they're better off farting about in local government.
        I was talking to someone who was a Yorkshire miner during the 1984 strike, he said a lot of them didn't put in much effort in fact it was like British Leyland down the pits with about 30% taking down matresses so they could kip out their shift.

No wonder they could never get the nationalised mines to make a profit.

Comment

Working...
        X