• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

need some quick advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some quick advice

Hi all,

my contract starts in a couple of weeks and im just about to finish my permie job to venture down this road. im really excited and there is some fantastic advice but im after some of your opinions on a mobile phone.

i currently have a personal mobile with tesco with 6 months left on the contract.
    i need to keep this number as ive had it for over 7 years and is registered with everyone and any buisness that has my details.

im going to be working in sweden and will be recieving calls on a regular basis. which i will be charged 14/min.

do i buy out my contract from tesco for £210 and then take the pac code over to a business line with 02 that has a My Europe Extra which i don't get charged for recieving calls?

or

do i keep the tesco contract and get them to change the billing over to my business account?
    so i get everything written off and then wait to take the pack code over once contract is up.
    is this doable or is this a no no?

i really dont know what to do. many people said just buy out the contract. yeah its great on paper but if i can save a few hundred quid would be better or is it bite the bullet?

also 02 doesnt have the best phones. im on an iphone 4 and looking to go android like the HTC desire HD. but only available at Vodafone as car-phone warehouse cant do a bolt on My Europe extra.
    Voda has the passport service but you take a 75pence hit every time you receive a call and then free for the hour. yeah great if you get a few calls a day but im 3 days in Sweden and i will get at least 10 calls whilst there (more from the wife) so 02 is up-to 1000 mins free on received per month. so these short calls wont cost me much.

its just that dilemma of what to do pay off tesco or get them to bill the business.

anyone have any experience.

really need some solid advice.

thanks all

kal

If you're working on someone elses time or office why will you be taking calls all the time?

If family needs to drop you a line give them the office phone, or use VOIP or skype.

Doesn't seem a big issue to be honest.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I've no advice but watch for that Swedish tax!

Comment

When you get there buy a cheapo sim card to give to the locals and let all your other phone calls go to voicemail.

Also maybe get a skype in/out acct to forward calls

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          I've no advice but watch for that Swedish tax!
          Well, apart from that piece of advice...

Mycket bra...

Comment

Hi all thanks for the replies.

What I really need to know is can I change the billing to my business for my current phone or do I have to get a new buisness contract.

Comment

Originally posted by digitaldecks View Post
              Hi all thanks for the replies.

What I really need to know is can I change the billing to my business for my current phone or do I have to get a new buisness contract.
              One consensus is (from other threads) that you need to change your contract to make it 100% legit. Other consensus is, 'who gives a tulip', if the best deal says personal then put the whole lot through anyway.

Que sera sera.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

After earnest advice from my accountant I got my company name added to the address field on the statement and then changed the DD to my business account. It's the same personal contract though.

Comment

You guys are legends!

Comment

Do you like movies about gladiators?

Comment

Working...
                    X