• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone remember "Little Black Sambo"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone remember "Little Black Sambo"?

Anyone remember this book? I remember it being read to my class many times during assembly in primary school and being absolutely enthralled by by the story of the tigers who turned to butter.

I recently came across a book store in Auz selling it and they had it listed as if it was a special to order item. I remember thinking how refreshing it was that the PC brigade had not reached here yet and assumed that it would surely have been long ago banned in the UK.

But I was wrong! It is still available on Amazon and the Book Depository so I just placed an order.

Link here

As its openly for sale I presume there's no issue with me quoting the title here (but I may be wrong about that too!).

Any other instances of things that have survived the PC onslaught?

I notice that same bookshop also sells Golliwogs (as do many others here), I don't think this is acceptable any longer in the UK though, is it?

Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    Anyone remember this book? I remember it being read to my class many times during assembly in primary school and being absolutely enthralled by by the story of the tigers who turned to butter.

I recently came across a book store in Auz selling it and they had it listed as if it was a special to order item. I remember thinking how refreshing it was that the PC brigade had not reached here yet and assumed that it would surely have been long ago banned in the UK.

But I was wrong! It is still available on Amazon and the Book Depository so I just placed an order.

Link here

As its openly for sale I presume there's no issue with me quoting the title here (but I may be wrong about that too!).

Any other instances of things that have survived the PC onslaught?

I notice that same bookshop also sells Golliwogs (as do many others here), I don't think this is acceptable any longer in the UK though, is it?
    Racist.

I've had a chat with my golliwog and he definitely thinks you're a racist.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

An outrageous, appalling book; clearly an anachronism.

It gives the impression that tigers are bad and selfish and best done away with - an utterly inappropriate message in these pro-environment days.

Do not recommend.

HTH

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

I've not read the book but I've seen Sambo's Grave.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I've had a chat with my golliwog and he definitely thinks you're a racist.
          We went into a teddybear shop and I noticed loads of golliwogs, however they shop owner informed me that they are now called gollies !

Comment

Working...
          X