PDA

View Full Version : Eastenders

pacharan
18th January 2011, 09:26
I'm quite liberal about what my kids watch on tv but I make an exception when it comes to Eastenders.

I haven't seen it for years but I catch the odd glimpse which is enough to tell me what a thoroughly nasty programme this is. There's just nothing in it to make you feel good about being part of the human race, no joy, nothing.

The ludicrous pc-ness of their storylines makes me think there's something political behind it too. I'm not having my kids brainwashed.

Of course, what really makes me laugh is how the Trendy Wendies who make this programme think they're being inclusive by reflecting the rainbow nation of which they dream when, in fact , there wouldn't be a white working class face on the show if it truly reflected reality in the east end.

milanbenes
18th January 2011, 09:31
agreed,

have thought the same for years

whenever I have caught a glimpse it has been a big enough dose of policitally correctness social engineering combined with depressional story lines to put me off ever going near it

it would be interesting to see a documentary about the programme makers and story writers because they must be some pretty fecked up folk

Milan.

mudskipper
18th January 2011, 09:32
I'm quite liberal about what my kids watch on tv but I make an exception when it comes to Eastenders.

I haven't seen it for years but I catch the odd glimpse which is enough to tell me what a thoroughly nasty programme this is. There's just nothing in it to make you feel good about being part of the human race, no joy, nothing.

The ludicrous pc-ness of their storylines makes me think there's something political behind it too. I'm not having my kids brainwashed.

Of course, what really makes me laugh is how the Trendy Wendies who make this programme think they're being inclusive by reflecting the rainbow nation of which they dream when, in fact , there wouldn't be a white working class face on the show if it truly reflected reality in the east end.

If you haven't seen it for years, are you really in a position to be making such statements?

DimPrawn
18th January 2011, 09:44
It's supposed to be the East End of London.

Where's the black on black gun crime, the majority who don't speak any English, the large number of immigrants sitting on street corners and the random muggings, vandalism, graffiti, pick pocketing and burglary blighting everyones lives?

Looks like the dream of how a white middle class Guardian reader imagines the East End of London would be like in their funny little minds.

eek
18th January 2011, 09:47
It's supposed to be the East End of London.

I think it was like the east end when it first began but the two realities have rapidly diverged over the last 27 years.

pacharan
18th January 2011, 09:57
If you haven't seen it for years, are you really in a position to be making such statements?

That dead baby storyline. At Christmastime too. Like I said, nasty.

Churchill
18th January 2011, 10:10
I think it was like the east end when it first began but the two realities have rapidly diverged over the last 27 years.

The East-End of London is the nearest thing we've got to a Washington or New York ghetto. Or maybe it's Birmingham...

minestrone
18th January 2011, 10:21
The program swings from high quality to very very low quality depending on the quality of the writers working at that time. The output is too high and suffers because of that.

I heard Harry Hill asked what makes a perfect TV Burp program.

"One that is made too quickly with not enough money and takes itself too seriously, Eastenders."

MarillionFan
18th January 2011, 10:31
Is Dirty Den still in it?

DimPrawn
18th January 2011, 10:45

Yes, he runs the diversity classes at the Nelson Mandela community centre.

hyperD
18th January 2011, 16:49

Think he's doing a webcam lecture on spanking the monkey in a panto, isn't he?

minestrone
18th January 2011, 16:51
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9p84_G1c4hU/SY2zjx1z1bI/AAAAAAAAAAw/tonbq07nC1E/s320/lesgrantham.jpg

alreadypacked
18th January 2011, 20:49
It should be renamed Worstenders, they get the worst end of everything.

darmstadt
18th January 2011, 21:20
I believe I was still living in England when it started not far from an area where it is meant to be and even then I thought it was a fairytale. All soap operas are total bollocks except for Crossroads as Benny was magic, especially when he was on O.T.T. (adult version on Tiswas) discussing when the aliens landed in Birmingham and when he got up in the morning they had stolen the wheels off of his car...

Churchill
19th January 2011, 07:49
I believe I was still living in England when it started not far from an area where it is meant to be and even then I thought it was a fairytale. All soap operas are total bollocks except for Crossroads as Benny was magic, especially when he was on O.T.T. (adult version on Tiswas) discussing when the aliens landed in Birmingham and when he got up in the morning they had stolen the wheels off of his car...

Whatever happend to "Miss Doiannne"?

Peoplesoft bloke
19th January 2011, 09:13
Anyone involved in the prosuction of this crap and anyonef watching it should be put in jail or deported.

hyperD
19th January 2011, 10:51
Anyone involved in the prosuction of this crap and anyonef watching it should be put in jail or deported.

I think that Eastenders plotline has already been broadcast.