• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Utterly pointless waste of money court case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utterly pointless waste of money court case

This had better not have involved any public money whatsoever.

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

In cases like these why doesn't the judge just tell everyone to f*** off home and stop wasting public resources?
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    This had better not have involved any public money whatsoever.

Gay Couple Win B&B Discrimination Case Against Christian Owners, Damages Of £1,800 Each | UK News | Sky News

In cases like these why doesn't the judge just tell everyone to f*** off home and stop wasting public resources?
    Yep. Why open a B&B if you don't like guests? Why stay in a B&B if you don't like the hosts?

Waste of money on all sides; make them all pay the court costs.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I bet it cost us lots. In favour of gay rights generally but as have said before there should be lower boundaries, in private houses or very small owner run businesses, where such public policy laws should not apply. Everyone should be entitled to control their personal space whatever their reasons.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        I bet it cost us lots. In favour of gay rights generally but as have said before there should be lower boundaries, in private houses or very small owner run businesses, where such public policy laws should not apply. Everyone should be entitled to control their personal space whatever their reasons.
        Agreed, but if you don't like other people's bedtime activities, you're sort of asking for trouble if you open a B&B.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Check out the B&B owners picture on the link above.
          Both look like they've swallowed several wasps at once
          A living advert for the life enhancing benefits of atheism and rationality.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Since there was a notice on the B&B web site saying "We have few rules but please note that out of a deep regard for marriage we prefer to let double accommodation to heterosexual married couples only" then paying compensation to the chap in question seems like abuse of the legal system. A fine I could understand.

In theory, an engaged couple could have sued them too.

Edit: they didn't refuse to put them up; merely said they'd need to stay in separate rooms. Quite a few times I've booked a double room online for me & Mrs RC then got a twin room. Fukc it, in future I'll sue the hotel chain.
            Last edited by RichardCranium; 18 January 2011, 11:37.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              Since there was a notice on the B&B web site saying "We have few rules but please note that out of a deep regard for marriage we prefer to let double accommodation to heterosexual married couples only" then paying compensation to the chap in question seems like abuse of the legal system. A fine I could understand.
              Their sign is illegal, which is the entire point of the case.

There are plenty of discrimination cases where public money is wasted simply because once the people doing the discrimination are warned they are breaking the law they refuse to take notice until they go to court and lose.

One case I can remember is a wheel chair user took one of the cheap airline to court in the past over paying for the use of a wheelchair at the airport.Ryanair and wheelchair user
              Last edited by SueEllen; 18 January 2011, 11:39.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Their sign is illegal, which is the entire point of the case.
                So it was just a vexatious litigation?
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Do they ask to see a Marriage Licence?

Anyway, if I owned a Hotel I'd ensure that the following notice was visible...

"Management reserves the right to refuse admission."

A bit better than "No Blacks No Dogs No Irish", but could mean pretty much mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    So it was just a vexatious litigation?
                    Nope. Vexatious litigation is something different.

The entire point was the idiots who ran the B&B didn't recognised that a civil partnership in law is equal to marriage. So while they could have got away discriminating against couples who are engaged of any sexual persuasion, they can't get away discriminating against those in civil partnerships.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X