• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uncomfortable experience walking to hotel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncomfortable experience walking to hotel

Found myself walking up a quiet road to get to my aparthotel this evening. Heard steps behind me to see a bloke walking behind me about 30 metres away. I stopped a moment to make sure he saw me clocking him then walked to the other side of the street in order to walk past a couple of lasses who came from my hotel. I checked to see if he was still there only to find that he'd disappeared. Since I was actually expecting him to still be there (walking to the hotel too) I was a bit alarmed and still haven't settled.

This is the first time I've felt unsafe in London. The next time I use a hotel sarf of the river I'll get a taxi from the tube station to the door.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Found myself walking up a quiet road to get to my aparthotel this evening. Heard steps behind me to see a bloke walking behind me about 30 metres away. I stopped a moment to make sure he saw me clocking him then walked to the other side of the street in order to walk past a couple of lasses who came from my hotel. I checked to see if he was still there only to find that he'd disappeared. Since I was actually expecting him to still be there (walking to the hotel too) I was a bit alarmed and still haven't settled.

This is the first time I've felt unsafe in London. The next time I use a hotel sarf of the river I'll get a taxi from the tube station to the door.
    Chances are he was OK if you could hear him walking. I'd imagine muggers and such like would want to creep about a bit quieter

But Sarf Laandan tends to be dodgier than say Ealing or Camden or even Notting Hill IMHO.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Probably just Wilmslow.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just another reason why firearms should be made legal in the UK.

If that was the case the story would read:

cojak: "I was walking to my hotel after a few drinks and suspicious bloke tried to chase me - gunned him down before he could say ABC - will be getting a medal from Mayor of London Boris the Bullet Dodger."

HTH

Comment

You can't be too careful, but don't let yourself get too freaked out either. He might have been a perfectly decent chap who realised you were unnerved and chose to take himself off on a detour to avoid alarming you further.

Once in my student days I was walking along a quiet residential road at about three in the morning and realised that I was rapidly gaining on a lass walking alone ahead of me. (Back then it was very uncommon for people to be walking about at that time of night, even in a student-laden area.) Realising that it might freak her out if I carried on at my usual brisk pace until I caught up with her, I glanced over my shoulder and started to cross the road, figuring that being on the other side would make me seem less of a threat. Unfortunately, having started across, I looked ahead again and realised that she had also started to cross the road at exactly the same time, making it look as if I was crossing over for the purpose of following her. I considered crossing back, but that just seemed even stranger, as if I was trying to give the impression that I wasn't following her, but thereby suggesting that I was, and was crap at it. Being now stuck on the same side as her, and with nearly a quarter of a mile to any point where either of us could turn off, I considered slowing down, but thought that would also be suspicious, creating the impression that I'd walked fast until I got within range and was now biding my time as I followed her

Having driven myself to the brink of insanity trying to work out how the hell to deal with the simple task of walking up a road that happened to have another person walking up it at a slightly slower pace I finally came to my senses and just carried on as if she wasn't there. She didn't scream for help or mace me as I overtook her and trogged off over the horizon, but I still don't know if she was perturbed by my presence, nor how the hell I should have dealt with the situation, nor if from her point of view there even was a situation

Comment

As a bloke, if I were walking down a quietish street in an unfamiliar area, and I heard footsteps, then the guy dissappeared as I made it clear I was not the victim type, I would put that down to a near miss. So lord knows what it must be like for the female

scary as heck probbly

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I'm sorry you were so worried, but it was probably nothing and the chap didn't realise he'd frightened you. The main thing is all is well.

When I'm out on my own I try to give the impression that I'm paying attention to my surroundings (look around, walk confidently etc.)
              NF did the right thing by trying to cross the road. If she had been worried she would have crossed back, I think.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Probably just Wilmslow.
                More likely to be Menelaus, that's his stalking ground...

Anyway Cojak, glad you're Ok. As NF said, the bloke was probably worried about alarming you further.

It ain't easy being a bloke.

Comment

I often make a bit of noise if I'm approaching anyone from behind (male or female, but especially female), by for example scuffing my feet on the pavement. I regularly scuff my feet , so it's not much extra effort. I've also crossed the street on occasion. This is useful even if there are a couple to overtake, because they probably don't want anyone overhearing a discussion as someone approaches unannounced, and in their turn can allow a bit of passing room.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

But Sarf Laandan tends to be dodgier than say Ealing or Camden or even Notting Hill IMHO.
                    Since I know blokes mugged in Ealing and Camden and one of my mates swears Notting Hill is a dump and that people there love breaking into cars, I wouldn't be so sure.

Unfortunately London has rich people right next to poor people so anywhere you go in the city you can be a target.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X