• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time benched - what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time benched - what to do?

Actually I am currently enjoying the time off and not having to commute 2.5 hours a day. Then again I am making no money..... It's kind of stressful and fun at the same time. Really wierd feeling.

I have 1 interview confirmed and another one possible for today....

Should I relax or stress? Anybody else in the same position?

Obviously the agents screwed you on the last one.

Do you need to get back on the horse again today or could you take a holiday? See it as a natural break.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      Actually I am currently enjoying the time off and not having to commute 2.5 hours a day. Then again I am making no money..... It's kind of stressful and fun at the same time. Really wierd feeling.

I have 1 interview confirmed and another one possible for today....

Should I relax or stress? Anybody else in the same position?
      Have a look round. If you can secure another decent contract in the next few weeks great.

If not, why not book 2 weeks or even a month away somewhere warm and when you return, we might have a spring bounce.

Comment

EO's strategy - just for you. read this, then eat the intenet.

Put your rate way up and start applying. If you get a gig, great , you had no break but the money makes up for it.

every week, lower your rate. eventually you will get a gig, the money will be poo, but at least you had a nice break

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          EO's strategy - just for you. read this, then eat the intenet.

Put your rate way up and start applying. If you get a gig, great , you had no break but the money makes up for it.

every week, lower your rate. eventually you will get a gig, the money will be poo, but at least you had a nice break

It's a good strategy.

There's much more demand for high end contractors than the low end, and often the difference between a high end contractor and a low end contractor is just the high end contractor demands 2x the rate of the low end contractor.

Comment

Have a look round. If you can secure another decent contract in the next few weeks great.

If not, why not book 2 weeks or even a month away somewhere warm and when you return, we might have a spring bounce.
            Very risky. Only 3 months warchest available. But I can send my wife out to work as a worst case scenario. She works as a self employed pharmacist and can find jobs immediately.

Comment

I know the stress. But take a couple of weeks off. Don't think about work at all. Then get back to looking. you'll appreciate the break.
              EO's advice sounds good to me.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I am going to go and visit some family and friends down south this weekend. That's a reasonable option in terms of cost and it's a break.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                  Very risky. Only 3 months warchest available. But I can send my wife out to work as a worst case scenario. She works as a self employed pharmacist and can find jobs immediately.
                  That's plenty of warchest. Couple of weeks off, 2-6 weeks to get back in to the saddle.

Sorted.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

1 Start thread on CUK entitled 'Doomed'
                    2 Send CV to those agents you've had good (or at least less than awful) expereinces with
                    3 Take a few days off altogether
                    4 Plan each day to spend a couple of hours actively calling agents to 'discuss your skills and wishes' or some such guff plus calling people you've worked with before to 'hear how they're doing' and spend rest of day doing household chores, studying or enjoying your free time
                    5 If after a couple of weeks nothing, then spread CV around to more agents and be prepared to lower rate if you're feeling the pinch
                    6 when contract comes, start thread on CUK entitled 'Boomed'
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X