• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rate rises

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate rises

Inflation heading for 5% soon.

Who knows where it will get to?

So the question is, who has the balls to start upping rates.

It's not a question of greed, it's a question of maintaing buying power against a backdrop of huge price increases in the cost of living.

It takes back bone to ask for more money and I'm not sure the younger (New Labour) educated ones here have the balls to be honest.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Who knows where it will get to?

So the question is, who has the balls to start upping rates.

It's not a question of greed, it's a question of maintaing buying power against a backdrop of huge price increases in the cost of living.

It takes back bone to ask for more money and I'm not sure the younger (New Labour) educated ones here have the balls to be honest.
    Easier to inflate the debt away I expect.

Comment

You believe the official figures?
      Inflation passed 5% a long time ago - look at the separate figures for essentials that no one can do without like gas, electricity, petrol and food.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Easier to inflate the debt away I expect.
        I'm talking about contractor rates not interest rates!

Getting someone round to trim a tree and they charge £300 a day.

IT workers should be minimum of £1000 a day by now, given people were earning £300 a decade ago.

Comment

IT workers should be minimum of £1000 a day by now, given people were earning £300 a decade ago.
          Why should I pay you £1000 a day when Bob will do it only slightly worse for £25?
          You IT plebs really need to start understanding the concept of added value.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm talking about contractor rates not interest rates!

Getting someone round to trim a tree and they charge £300 a day.

I thought the daily rate was always a telly per day. How good the telly is depends on how good you are.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Why should I pay you £1000 a day when Bob will do it only slightly worse for £25?
              You IT plebs really need to start understanding the concept of added value.
              Does Bob trim trees?

Comment

Upped my rate by approx 10% last year
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                  Upped my rate by approx 10% last year

Comment

Does Bob trim trees?

You're beginning to understand. The added value provided in this case is physical presence. Bob can't cut the tree virtually.
                    The solution for the soon-to-be mass-unemployed IT workers is to do manual work that requires a body present.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X