PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian food...

Mich the Tester
19th January 2011, 12:16
...just doesn't seem to fill me up. I had a hard training session yesterday evening, got home and had some pasta with veal in cream sauce. Woke up this morning, ate my banana pancake and a ham sandwich and came to work. Now at lunch the canteen were serving a vegetarian curry with rice, which looked quite filling, so I ate that along with a milkshake and a little tub of blancmangey-ish pudding. But I just didn't feel full, so I went back to the counter and ordered a large sausage. Now I feel pleasantly full, but not bloated.

Anyone with experience of vegetarian food who can advise on what's filling AND tasty?

Old Greg
19th January 2011, 12:24
...just doesn't seem to fill me up. I had a hard training session yesterday evening, got home and had some pasta with veal in cream sauce. Woke up this morning, ate my banana pancake and a ham sandwich and came to work. Now at lunch the canteen were serving a vegetarian curry with rice, which looked quite filling, so I ate that along with a milkshake and a little tub of blancmangey-ish pudding. But I just didn't feel full, so I went back to the counter and ordered a large sausage. Now I feel pleasantly full, but not bloated.

Anyone with experience of vegetarian food who can advise on what's filling AND tasty?

Masala dosa

ThomasSoerensen
19th January 2011, 12:28
As a gentle diet I have been on salad for lunch the last 2 weeks. Nothing else is changed, I eat normal dinner and breakfast and snacks.

I still feel full during the afternoon.

And I lose half a kilo per week.

wobbegong
19th January 2011, 12:45

Pav bhaji with dhal and a small naan bread does it for me. :tongue

RichardCranium
19th January 2011, 13:16
Mich, mate.

Vegetables are the stuff that food eats.

HTH

Mich the Tester
19th January 2011, 13:29
Mich, mate.

Vegetables are the stuff that food eats.

HTH

I think you might be right. The suggestions are helpful, but they're tandoori, which doesn't react well with my gut. If the canteen continues this healthy-greeny-PC policy I might be forced to visit Os en Peper (http://www.osenpeper.nl/os%20en%20peper%20impressie.html) for lunch instead.

TimberWolf
19th January 2011, 13:33
I usually follow up a vegetable meal, which will often contain at least some meat, with chocolate or other high calorie items. Chocolate usually. Also, I add meat and cheese to my salads, which are high in calories. Plus the salady part of the salad is usually quite small and tastes horrible, though high calorie salad cream helps a lot.

I don't often have salads though.

wobbegong
19th January 2011, 13:35

Macaroni cheese
Pasta with tomato, mushroom and black olive sauce
Baked potato stuffed with chilli beans
Woolton Pie

RichardCranium
19th January 2011, 13:40
I usually follow up a vegetable meal, which will often contain at least some meat,:laugh

Almost all of the beer I drink, often over 94%, is water. So I'm a tee-totaller. No, really.

You remind me of the Austrian salad ... which contains bacon.

Mich the Tester
19th January 2011, 13:41
Macaroni cheese
:puke:

Pasta with tomato, mushroom and black olive sauce
Yes, will eat that.

Baked potato stuffed with chilli beans
Yes, will eat that.

Woolton Pie
Might try making that.

gingerjedi
19th January 2011, 14:42

It's because your body is craving protein and fat, if you have food with cheese, beens or eggs you'll find it more satisfying than veg and rice.

I nice Spanish tortilla with a side of pinto beans covered with melted manchego will sort you out. http://th12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/angeltattoo/smilies/th_drool.gif

Mich the Tester
19th January 2011, 14:46
It's because your body is craving protein and fat, if you have food with cheese, beens or eggs you'll find it more satisfying than veg and rice.

I nice Spanish tortilla with a side of pinto beans covered with melted manchego will sort you out. http://th12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/angeltattoo/smilies/th_drool.gif

Sounds good; probably good for considerable flatulent entertainment too.

suityou01
19th January 2011, 14:48
Why not try the pie soup? :wink

gingerjedi
19th January 2011, 15:03
Why not try the pie soup? :wink

Not a bad idea, the army liquidise perfectly good meals into soup as it keeps them satisfied longer.

There is a scientific explanation but I don't know this should be?

Mich the Tester
19th January 2011, 15:07
Not a bad idea, the army liquidise perfectly good meals into soup as it keeps them satisfied longer.

There is a scientific explanation but I don't know this should be?

If you've hired a bunch of 17 year olds from a council estate it's probably best not to serve food that requires knives and forks.

pmeswani
19th January 2011, 15:13
Try chickpea curry and a large nan bread.

Old Greg
19th January 2011, 15:21
Glamorgan sausages, mash and port gravy. If that isn't filling you up, then you're not eating enough. For full effect, eat as much mash as you can as quickly as you can, so that by the time your brain works out that you're full, you're in so much pain, you can't move.