• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too many jobs!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many jobs!

UK short 100K tech recruits this year ? The Register

So we need to import Bobs, to meet the shortfall.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

The number of tech workers aged over 50 has doubled to 17 per cent. Meanwhile women make up just 18 per cent of the typical IT department.

Well, there's only so much tea a man can drink!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      UK short 100K tech recruits this year ? The Register

So we need to import Bobs, to meet the shortfall.
      FFS

WTF is wrong with this country!!!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

this not enough skilled people is a self fulfilling prophecy,

16 years ago when I got my Comp Science degree, Comp Science was the least popular subject at uni's and poly's

today....

even less are taking IT because all the IT work is being done by Bobs

in the .Net area, for the last 8 years at all the different clients I've been the youngest European in the Team, the graduates doing .Net have been Bobs

so speaking for the .Net area, there is no (or extremely little) new European blood coming into the .Net area

I assume it's the same for other areas of IT

so it's going to come to the point that even if companies want to hire Europeans there won't be any new blood there anyway with the education to be hired

so Bob will win again

until....

Bob's own IT wage inflation - and it's big according to the Bob's I work with, they say that back home you can leave one job and get a 50% payrise with another company

coupled with....

Inflation in Bob's country which is also putting pressure on wages inflation

coupled with

Bob's economy is doing really well, and consequently Bob's currency is doing well and rising against the others

all combined, slowly but surely making Bob more expensive

but then....

it doesn't end there

because the out sourcing I am involved with, Bob's company has stopped hiring more Bobs for our projects because they're too expensive and they're now looking for Bobs in the Philipines and in Brazil and later they reckon they're gonna be finding Bobs in Africa - basically, as soon as one offshore center becomes too expensive they're looking for the next cheapest

they reckon China will be good, but the problem there is not enough (yet) speak English

but coming back to the main point, perilously few are studying Comp Science in Europe, and companies are not hiring European graduates into IT

which leads one to conclude in the long term, IT as a major employer in Europe is over and will be difficult to win back

I hope, that for people like us, the last generation doing real IT work, we'll be able to ride it out until retirement

but who knows

what does the jury think ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post

bilge bilge bilge .....

what does the jury think ?

Milan.
          Doomed. All doomed. Pack up and go home now.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

benes - with the ever worrying trend of third worldisms in Great (RIP) Britain, they'll be outsourcing back to us within the decade. It's deja vu all over again.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
              benes - with the ever worrying trend of third worldisms in Great (RIP) Britain, they'll be outsourcing back to us within the decade. It's deja vu all over again.
              Yes. In addition I thought we agreed that we need to be able to manouvre around problems like this. If the .Net/tape changing work is outsourced to overseas Bobs, get a better paid gig managing said Bobs. Double boomed.

Simples.

Comment

There are call centres springing up in Kenya and Tanzania. The locals speak a more understandable kind of English than many Indians, tend to be quite well disposed to providing service, and are prepared to work for even less than Bobs. Added bonus; with life expectancy at 50, you don't even need to give them a pension!
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Hyper,

yes I agree

once wages and living standards and expectations are suitably reduced in the UK

and Bobs (and other Bobs territories) get their costs inflation

then yes, it will be competitive to do IT with Europeans again

meantime, SY01, you are correct it's Darwinism in action, adapt or pass away,

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    There are call centres springing up in Kenya and Tanzania. The locals speak a more understandable kind of English than many Indians, tend to be quite well disposed to providing service, and are prepared to work for even less than Bobs. Added bonus; with life expectancy at 50, you don't even need to give them a pension!
                    I'll take 5.

Comment

Working...
                    X