• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The better job that was too later or too soon....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The better job that was too later or too soon....

I'm due to finish my contract end of this month. Since coming back in the new year I have had 2 agencies ring me about jobs which sounded good, more money but I need to be available to start the following week, I still at that point had 3 weeks to go in current contract, I let them go.

Now I have seen a job local, more money to start urgently next week, so urgent they are not even doing a face to face interview apparently but I'm still in contract and it would in fact be my last week which makes it more frustrating.

I know some would walk from their job but I am one of those people that like to see a contract through till the end but its so annoying when this happens why is it as soon as you take a contract or its only a short time before you finish your current contract a great contract comes up which you can't take unless you mess the current one about or walk!!! This is not the place either to try and get an early exit.

Apply for the new contract. If you get it then negotiate leaving early with your current client.

Don't ask, don't get.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Apply for the new contract. If you get it then negotiate leaving early with your current client.

Don't ask, don't get.
      Yep. Or start the new contract and go sick on the old one for the last week. It's cold out there, and while your morals are sound and agreeable, this is business.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Go for it - you could stall it for a week arguing about contract terms or something.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Yep. Or start the new contract and go sick on the old one for the last week. It's cold out there, and while your morals are sound and agreeable, this is business.
          WHS nearly. Fudge it, apply for the NEW one, and wait for the signed contract if you get it. That should take a week. If it comes through and there is still an overlap then tell NEW contract your OLD contract have 'just' asked you to stay on for a week and you feel obliged to give them 2 or 3 days, and can you do a half week for them. Do something similar with the OLD contract, offer to work a weekend, etc etc

It is tough juggling but has generally worked for me.

Comment

Working...
          X