• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to Shoot an Anvil 200 Feet in the Air

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Shoot an Anvil 200 Feet in the Air

You know you want to

Oh dear. I can see I'm going to spend a sleepless night in front of YouTube now.

Just like I did when I saw the trebuchet videos.

And the Tesla coil videos.

And the high voltage v Furby videos.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

How about the Vortex Cannon?

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Remember. No prevention of terrorism act in the US. Do that in a field in Kent and you'll get your brains blown out quicker than you can shout 'Hey I'm Brazilian!'
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Tesla Coil Car Thief Protection

Comment

Good videos RC. Worthy of a +ve rep. Unfortunately I cannot +rep you with my login or any of my other sockies until the -ve's run out.

Sorry.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              You know you want to

[ mad anvil man ]
              It's pretty damn impressive what just a small amount of gunpowder can do. No wonder cannons work.

I wonder if this chap's games evolved from one my big bruvva taught me when I was ickle. Scrape the red stuff off a couple of Swan Vesta matches, put it between two florins and stamp on it.

I decided a more interesting experiment would require the heads of an entire box of matches. When scraping them off using a steel modelling knife into a small plastic box on my lap, I managed to ignite one of the matches and it set the entire box off. I managed to throw it off me and it burnt a hole through my mattress.

I'm lucky I didn't lose my baby-maker. Or possibly the house and my entire family.

The bit that has been going round in my head, is where he uses a piece of iron to level off the black powder. So he's scraping a piece of cast iron over cast iron with gunpowder not just present, but between them.

One day he's going to get a little surprise when he - very briefly - discovers why non-sparking brass would have been a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

One day he's going to get a little surprise when he - very briefly - discovers why non-sparking brass would have been a better choice.
                Worse was the video of them playing with the 100's of years old 3 barrelled blunderbuss. I did wonder how they managed to reach such a ripe old age with the messing about they were doing with such antiquated equipment and the lack of concern about where it was pointed.

Re the anvil, I was impressed with how straight the flight path was, presumably aided by carefully levelling the bottom anvil and packing and flattening of the black powder in the recess they made in it.

A calculation, involving a lot of guesswork on the properties of the materials and dimensions, shows the anvil could reach 50 metres in height, but there is a lot of fiddle factor available. Basically though it appears quite an efficient launcher by the look of it:

Assuming receptacle dimensions = 2cm *3cm*10cm = 60m^3
                Density of 'black powder' = 0.1g/cm^3, ∴ mass = 6/1000 kg
                Energy density of 'black powder': 4*10^6 J/kg
                Energy content in receptacle = 24,000J
                50kg anvil
                ∴ 24,000 = mgh = 50*10*h, ∴h = 48 metres

Comment

I think I'll just nip off to the anvil and firework shop.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    The bit that has been going round in my head, is where he uses a piece of iron to level off the black powder. So he's scraping a piece of cast iron over cast iron with gunpowder not just present, but between them.
                    It's a piece of wood.

Use your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                    X