• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the Works of Charles Dickens

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Works of Charles Dickens

N.B. Before I begin, I should warn my fellow CUK bookworms
    that there is a spoiler vis a vis Great Expectations within the body of this text.

As I was climbing into my freshly pressed M&S Y-Fronts this morning, the crotch thereof freshly dusted with Hi Karate talc, I paused to reflect upon the works of Charles Dickens, towit, the predictability of his storylines.

As I mentioned in a post yesterday, I need to tick a few more boxes to get my application for membership of the Rotarians up and running
    again. Indeed, I'm already learning bridge, and I feel I also need to broaden my
    literary horizons.

Now, having already read a couple of Mr Dicken's novels I have noticed a certain pattern in these works; the seemingly obscure character, who apparently bears no relationship whatsoever to the outcome of the story is, in fact, the pivotal figure. Indeed, after having already read a Tale of Two Cities, I immediately knew that Pip's benefactor in Great Expectations was the convict he helped on the marshes, not Miss Havisham.

So, in other words all I need to do is read the first few pages of each novel until we encounter said obscure character and declare that "he done it". Then a quick flick through the rest of the pages just
    to acquaint myself with the main characters and I'm done.

In fact, I think I could possibly clear the whole Dickens oeuvre in less time than it takes me to read a copy of Railway World!

Now, if only the same were true for other authors; in no time at all, Lt Col. Ashton Wickett would think I had a First in English
    Literature and would rubber stamp my application forthwith.

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

WTF?
      "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Meisterstuck

Milan.

Comment

Charles Dickens novels use to be published in weekly periodicals in instalments.

So while it's easy for you and I to work out who done it and flick (or scroll) to the end of the book to confirm it, you can't if you don't get next chapter until next week.

BTW that's the only bit of your post I understand the rest is I suggest you give up what you are
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Charles Dickens novels use to be published in weekly periodicals in instalments.

So while it's easy for you and I to work out who done it and flick (or scroll) to the end of the book to confirm it, you can't if you don't get next chapter until next week.

BTW that's the only bit of your post I understand the rest is I suggest you give up what you are
            He's under the impression that joining the Rotary Club will somehow increase his social standing.

Comment

Oh dear Gricer,

Whilst I admire the effort you put in to your quest to ingratiate yourself with people you mistakenly view as your social betters, I have to say that this is almost certainly another of your ‘projects’ that will come to no avail, as always, leaving you crestfallen, disappointed and deeply unhappy. It will then fall on the shoulders of your friends to pick up the pieces and rebuild your self esteem.

This shortcut to literary knowledge as a means of gaining social acceptance is obviously doomed from the off and what is worse is it highlights the somewhat shallower side of your personality. Rather than taking the time to digest and appreciate these great works you prefer to adopt a Wikipedia approach. You should be thinking of these books as you do your days out with the PA. It’s about the journey not the destination.

Yours

Malcolm.

Comment

Originally posted by malcolminthemiddle View Post
                Oh dear Gricer,

Whilst I admire the effort you put in to your quest to ingratiate yourself with people you mistakenly view as your social betters, I have to say that this is almost certainly another of your ‘projects’ that will come to no avail, as always, leaving you crestfallen, disappointed and deeply unhappy. It will then fall on the shoulders of your friends to pick up the pieces and rebuild your self esteem.

This shortcut to literary knowledge as a means of gaining social acceptance is obviously doomed from the off and what is worse is it highlights the somewhat shallower side of your personality. Rather than taking the time to digest and appreciate these great works you prefer to adopt a Wikipedia approach. You should be thinking of these books as you do your days out with the PA. It’s about the journey not the destination.

Yours

Malcolm.

Why couldn't you have told me this this morning?

Probably because you know I wouldn't have given you a breakfast turnover

Comment

Brill, makes a change from usual CUK crud. True or not, who cares? Yet again CUK has given me an idea for a story. I shall recommend CUK to all the great authors I know and mention it on the fronterpiece of my next best seller.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X