• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Met Police lie to government. Again.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Met Police lie to government. Again.

Metropolitan Police caught out lying to a Commons committee:

Plain-clothes officers 'were deployed at G20 demo'

Scotland Yard has admitted giving MPs inaccurate information by denying "covert officers" were deployed at London's G20 protests in April 2009.

Giving evidence at the select committee in 2009, Commander Bob Broadhurst told MPs then: "The only officers we deploy for intelligence purposes at public order are forward intelligence team officers who are wearing full police uniforms with a yellow jacket with blue shoulders. "There were no plain clothes officers deployed at all."

Questions arose about Mr Broadhurst's evidence following the unmasking of undercover policeman Mark Kennedy, who attended many demonstrations during seven years living as a spy among green activists.

The Met statement released on Wednesday said: "Having made thorough checks on the back of recent media reporting we have now established that covert officers were deployed during the G20 protests. Therefore the information that was given by Commander Bob Broadhurst to the Home Affairs Select Committee saying that 'We had no plain-clothes officers deployed within the crowd' was not accurate."
    "Not accurate" is one way of putting it. "Lying to parliament" is another.

The Police are supposed to be answerable to us, not the other way around, FFS.

The Met are there own worst enemy.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    The Police are supposed to be answerable to us, not the other way around, FFS.
    Where did you get that idea from? The police are the muscle of the state, there to defend the interests of the ruling classes.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      Where did you get that idea from?
      The Peelian principles

the philosophy that Robert Peel developed to define an ethical police force. The principles traditionally ascribed to Peel state that:

* Every police officer should be issued a badge number, to assure accountability for his actions.
      * Whether the police are effective is not measured on the number of arrests, but on the lack of crime.
      * Above all else, an effective authority figure knows trust and accountability are paramount. Hence, Peel's most often quoted principle: The police are the public and the public are the police.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Don't believe that for a moment.

Comment

The police are the muscle of the state, there to defend the interests of the ruling classes
          Not totally sure it's true but it is such a spendid statement I am convinced it is.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It has been quite obvious that the police have not only have present in undercover operations at demonstrations but also acted as agent provocateur in order to discredit any protest against the establishment.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

But please don't forget: the majority of policemen are law-abiding people. It's only a small hardcore minority of policemen who go to these demos intent on causing violence.

Comment

"Not accurate" is one way of putting it. "Lying to parliament" is another.
                It would only be lying if he knew the truth at the time and told the other way around, if he was given inaccurate info in the first place then he would not be lying.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  It would only be lying if he knew the truth at the time and told the other way around, if he was given inaccurate info in the first place then he would not be lying.
                  Chances are he was deliberately not told. "Plausible Deniability".

"I was not aware of specific operational activities."

If I don't know about something I can be accused of lying about it later or refusing to answer questions about it.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    He went to the committee representing the Met.

If Met staff told him lies, and he told them to the committee, then the Met lied. Which is what I entitled the thread: "Met Police lie to government. Again."

- - -

I have been involved in the sidelines when civil servants have been required to attend a government committee to answer questions. The research done before-hand to determine what may be asked and have evidence to back up answers is remarkably thorough. There are experts sitting with the person being questioned and ream of documentation they can refer to.

It is very likely he knew he was lying.

Comment

Working...
                    X