• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Big Society

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Big Society

So, I'd heard about this Big Society gubbins, and admittedly didn't know much about it.

I listened to a segment on R4 about it recently, where a presenter visited the Big Society offices. He was being shown round by the fella in charge, and was asking questions about what it actually involved and how results were to be measured. This guy could not seem to provide a tangible answer at all, it was annoying to listen to.

I concluded that it sounds like an idealogical load of balls, with HMG palming their responsibilities onto us.

What do the panel make of it?
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Same as this?:

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Prime minister Margaret Thatcher, talking to Women's Own magazine, October 31 1987
    But instead of being called 'no society' it's now called 'big society'.

Comment

Off course it's a load of balls.

All the government wants is charities to do more stuff without giving them the extra money to do it, and cutting the money they already have.

This current administration hasn't worked out that all charities from the large ones like Barnardos, Citizens Advice and Shelter to your local Meals-on-Wheels use public money to provide resources such as mini-buses, computers and kitchen equipment for a service but staff them with volunteers.

In other words they save the government (us) money by not employing people.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

At least we're all in it together.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          At least we're all in it together.
          I suppose - It's fair.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it. 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."
            Prime minister Margaret Thatcher, talking to Women's Own magazine, October 31 1987

Is Margaret Thatcher Dead Yet?
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

"People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Sounds quite right to me.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                "People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Sounds quite right to me.
                Easy for a man whose family is reckoned to be worth £35 million to say (assuming it's 'Dave'). Presumably his obligation is to make sure he and his mates keep as much of their loot as possible by trashing public services.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                  Very good indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Easy for a man whose family is reckoned to be worth £35 million to say (assuming it's 'Dave'). Presumably his obligation is to make sure he and his mates keep as much of their loot as possible by trashing public services.
                    The fact that he's rich doesn't make the truth of the statement any less.
                    His obligation is to pay his taxes correctly and keep to the law of the land.
                    As for "trashing" public services, what's your solution to the Labour legacy?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X