• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are all those rooves collapsing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are all those rooves collapsing?

Like London buses, rooves in Europe are fine for years, then four collapses come along at once. In the last month or so we've had two in Germany, one in Poland and now one in Moscow, all killing loads of people.

They say perhaps is the weight of snow, but it hasn't been much worse than normal over there.

Unless snow is now made with heavier water? Threaded, you're an expert.

wrong type of snow? - or maybe the leaves?
    "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
    - PJ O'Rourke

Comment

No it really isn't surprising, there really was unusually huge amounts of snow.
      I was over in Bavaria at the weekend, and even then the rooves still had mountains of snow on them.

Snow is only light and fluffy when it first falls. After while it takes on the consistency and weight of concrete.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

No Thaws

I think that, escpecially in Eastern Europe it has been a few degress colder and consistantly colder that average causing the snow to freeze and never really thaw out. New snow falls and the same thing happens until several tons of ice are packed on top of a structure causing it to collapse.
        There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Roofs.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Unless snow is now made with heavier water? Threaded, you're an expert.
            Don't be silly. This is to do with how newspapers report events. There's a proper term for this effect, I leave it as a task for the reader to google it up. Essentially if something newsworthy happens, it obviously gets in the news, then if another similar event happens, it will also be reported. Now the fun bit happens: the journalist lacking details to fill his column inches because the new event happened so recently (s)he refers to the previous event they do have details for. This makes a series of events more prominent, because subsequent events get more column inches and the previous events are discussed again.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Snow on the roof

Some years ago three of us were removing the snow from the roof of our friend's Gasthof. Two of us went inside for a tea break leaving the third on the roof. After a few minutes there was a sound like thunder and the whole lot of snow came down followed by our friend. He was left dangling from a rope outside the window. There were howls of laughter
              HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
                Roofs.
                Ah! I was wondering what 'rooves' were!

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Don't be silly. This is to do with how newspapers report events. There's a proper term for this effect, I leave it as a task for the reader to google it up. Essentially if something newsworthy happens, it obviously gets in the news, then if another similar event happens, it will also be reported. Now the fun bit happens: the journalist lacking details to fill his column inches because the new event happened so recently (s)he refers to the previous event they do have details for. This makes a series of events more prominent, because subsequent events get more column inches and the previous events are discussed again.
                  I tend to agree with Threaded on this - its all about whether the journos have anything better to report on at the time.
                  I remember a few years ago there was a spate of reports about 'nasty' dogs mauling the faces off young kiddies. Was this a new phenonemum where pit bulls thought 'hmmm, I wonder what a 5 year olds nose tastes like' ? Have the pit bulls now decided that noses dont taste nice and that its a taste thats likely to get them put down ??
                  No, of course not. Such things have always happened, and always will do - its just whether they make the news or not, dependant on what else of interest is happening in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp
                    Roofs.
                    Actually either Roofs or Rooves may be used. Like Scarfs and Scarves.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X