• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 out of 3 new jobs given to migrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 out of 3 new jobs given to migrants

2 OUT OF 3 NEW JOBS GIVEN TO MIGRANTS

A breakdown of workers by place of birth and nationality suggests even where new jobs are created, only a third go to people born in Britain. For example, there were 300,000 more jobs from July to September last year.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...EN-TO-MIGRANTS
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Well they do cost less, furthermore they actually enjoy the work they do without complaining all the time.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Well they do cost less, furthermore they actually enjoy the work they do without complaining all the time.
      Quiet.

If they don't smile they'll have their visa revoked, eh?

Comment

Here is the actual report if you want to see the details:

19 JAN 2011 - Labour Market Statistics - January 2010 Statistical Bulletin, Office for National Statistics, (09.30hrs)
        Last edited by RichardCranium; 20 January 2011, 18:14.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

As at November 2010, private v public sector pay.

private sector average pay including bonuses £449 per week (+1.9% increase on 2009).
          excluding bonuses: £420 per week

public sector average pay including bonuses £469 per week (+2.4% increase on 2009).
          excluding bonuses: £465 per week

- - - - - -

Gosh! The public sector has overtaken the private sector!
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

The Labour Market
            For September to November 2010:

Code:
            Employed  : 70.4% = 29.09 million people.
            Unemployed:  7.9% =  2.50 million people.
            Inactive  : 23.4% =  9.37 million people aged from 16 to 64.
                 TOTAL:         40.96 million people.
            So the "unemployed" only make up about a quarter of the people not working.

And that lot together is only about 2/3rds of the population; about 46% of the population is in work.

Comment

Employment Tables stuff

The number of people in public sector employment was 6.01 million in September 2010, down 33,000 from June 2010.

The number of people in private sector employment was 23.11 million, unchanged from June 2010.

That gives 29.12 people in employment (so some people must have two jobs, one in each sector).

20.6% of workers are public sector.
              79.4% of workers are private sector.

So about 36.5% of the population is working in the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                As at November 2010, private v public sector pay.

private sector average pay including bonuses £449 per week (+1.9% increase on 2009).
                excluding bonuses: £420 per week

public sector average pay including bonuses £469 per week (+2.4% increase on 2009).
                excluding bonuses: £465 per week

- - - - - -

Gosh! The public sector has overtaken the private sector!
                Loads of private sector jobs are now part-time.

Also lots of people haven't had pay rises for years or had to take pay cuts to keep their jobs.

The public sector will be hit next. They are always targeted under a Tory government because Labour goes mad with the public sector when it's in power.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

How many of the "inactive" are on all kind on benefits that enabled them not to be classed as "unemployed"?

Comment

Now the interesting and relevant bit.

I think this was the statement they are referring to (NB I have paraphrased to make it easier to read):

Code:
                    In the three months to September 2010,  (not seasonally adjusted)...

UK born people employed    : 25.41 million (up 100,000 from 2009).

Non-UK born people employed:  3.89 million (up 204,000 from 2009)
                    This suggests there were 304,000 additional jobs, and immigrants got 2/3rds of them. But, because the figures have not been seasonally adjusted, it does NOT mean immigrants got 2/3rds of all new jobs.

FURTHERMORE:

Code:
                    In the three months to September 2010,  (not seasonally adjusted)...

UK born people employment rate    : 71.6% (unchanged from 2009).

Non-UK born people employment rate: 67.8% (up 1.4% from 2009).
                    So, people not born in the UK have a very slightly lower level of employment than UK born people.

Comment

Working...
                    X