• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

France is USA's strongest ally

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France is USA's strongest ally

Have we done this? It happened last week.

New York Times:

President Barack Obama said little about the details of the economic message Mr. Sarkozy was thought to be carrying, but he did offer unusually warm words of support for his ally on other issues. “We don’t have a stronger friend and a stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy and the French people."

Connexion, France's English Language Newspaper:

AMERICAN president Barack Obama told President Sarkozy yesterday: “We don’t have a stronger friend and a stronger ally than Nicolas Sarkozy and the French people.”

The leaders also discussed the Middle East peace process, Iran, Afghanistan and the troubles in Ivory Coast as well as terrorism. Regarding terrorism, Mr Sarkozy said: “The USA and France are determined to be allies on this. We would be deeply guilty if we show weakness and we have no choice but to fight terrorists wherever they are. The democracies cannot back down.”
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

They can convince Germany back certain things - that, and their independent nuclear arsenal, makes them very strong ally indeed.

Comment

But I thought the Merkins thought the French were "cheese eating surrender monkeys" and renamed stuff like "freedom fries"?
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        But I thought the Merkins thought the French were "cheese eating surrender monkeys" and renamed stuff like "freedom fries"?
        That was before euro has become a proper reserve currency.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

They can convince Germany back certain things - that, and their independent nuclear arsenal, makes them very strong ally indeed.
          They're just words. From the US standpoint the French are acting like dangerous adversaries, from a finance standpoint anyway:

President Nicolas Sarkozy on Monday brought his campaign to lessen the dollar’s central role to the White House ..
          This is just a foretaste of the trouble to come. The Yanks always applauded the development of the EU, so the president would "know who to phone". But it's always the same with their naive foreign policy - In a few years the twats will find, yet again, that they've encouraged a monster into being.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
          X