• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dumb ass money making idea I've just dreamed up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb ass money making idea I've just dreamed up

On the whole, just after a listed company pays a dividend the stock price falls. Not always, but quite often.

So I'm going to look at a list of companies that pay their divis like clock work (monthly or quarterly be best) and then put a spread bet (with a stop loss just above the current price) on just before the ex dividend date.

Do you think I'm onto a winner?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    On the whole, just after a listed company pays a dividend the stock price falls. Not always, but quite often.

So I'm going to look at a list of companies that pay their divis like clock work (monthly or quarterly be best) and then put a spread bet (with a stop loss just above the current price) on just before the ex dividend date.

Yep. Brill idea. Got to pay for that beachside residence somehow I s'pose
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Yep. Brill idea. Got to pay for that beachside residence somehow I s'pose
      Oh do keep up!

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-calendar.html
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Is this what you wanted it for? to Spekulate on a price fall and make loads of dirty profit?

Comment

What about buying shares that popular investor mags promote, as soon as they promote them, and sell them a few days later. A bit like they do, but a bit later.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            What about buying shares that popular investor mags promote, as soon as they promote them, and sell them a few days later. A bit like they do, but a bit later.
            Not sure if it's quite the same but I read about why those share-tips you get in email spam (or used to) are always a bad idea. You really need to know what they're going to tip before it's published don't you?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Not familiar with spread betting. Is this effectively shorting before a predictable drop?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this what you wanted it for? to Spekulate on a price fall and make loads of dirty profit?
                Yep. In fact the share price drifts and then starts to rise
                before the dividend. If you get the timing right you can buy and sell within a short period and make a profit.

I have a spreadsheet that runs a scrape routine online buts it's slow. I'm migrating it to a Crystal Report which to a webservice to pull the data.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Not sure if it's quite the same but I read about why those share-tips you get in email spam (or used to) are always a bad idea. You really need to know what they're going to tip before it's published don't you?
                  Yeah. I once monitored shares tipped by Investors Chronicle and noticed a small winning strategy over the short period I examined, that could easily get wiped out by a single loss over a longer period, but I never pursued it. The gains were only small. I wouldn't touch email tips.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    Yeah. I once monitored shares tipped by Investors Chronicle and noticed a small winning strategy over the short period I examined, that could easily get wiped out by a single loss over a longer period, but I never pursued it. The gains were only small. I wouldn't touch email tips.
                    Stop loss. The ones you get wrong lose you a small amount of money and the ones you get right make you a small amount of money and since you get it right far more often than you get it wrong, all the small profits add up to one big profit.

Don't let AtW see this thread for gods sake.

Comment

Working...
                    X