• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anti capitalists – what do they actually want?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These Anti Capitalists. Does anyone know what it is they are actually demonstrating for (or against) in Edinburgh? Apparently they want to

"expresses our resistance in work, out of work or wherever we live."

But what does that mean? Clearly they don’t work, or they wouldn’t be in Edinburgh on a weekday. And by the sound of the guy interviewed on the radio this morning they don’t have to work. Just live off daddy’s trust fund.

Can anyone skilled in pseudo management speak decipher their message?

Thanks.

I worked with one such type a few years back. She came from a middle class family and protesting was a bit of an adventure for her. It didn't really matter what the cause was, she would jump on the bandwagon.

One afternoon, a large protest marched past the office, and she became very excited and told me she was going to join in -without even knowing the cause. She only stopped when I told her it was the pro hunt rally.

Comment

They are angry at the evil capitalist faceless profit machines that are blighting the world and creating poverty, deforestation and debt. Angry angry. God they are angry.

HTH.

Comment

Apart from a smack in the mouth you mean?

Considering most of them are either living off Daddy and so are intrinsically capitalist, or are dependant on the capitalist markets to buy their drugs, or dependant on capitalist overspill in the form of benefits I think they have got some fookin nerve!

3rd world goods at 3rd world prices.

Comment

Lots of money.

Give them lots of money and they stop complaining.

Comment

I remember reading an amusing story about one of the demonstrators outside Huntington Life Sciences. She had a very severe asthma attack while picketing the site - we are talking unable to breathe, danger of death stuff. One of the coppers policing the demo helped her with her inhaler - turned out the drug was developed in a joint research project between HLS and a pharma co. Ironic, huh?

Comment

Come on, this is just the usual student 'rite of passage' dust up with the Pigs. We've all been there haven't we? Aah those sweet Poll Tax riot days.

Comment

what they want

> Can anyone skilled in pseudo management speak decipher their message?

In a nut shell they want to take power from hands of multinational corporations and return it back to people -- corporations have way too high influence at the moment.

I am pro-market economy, however I am against having big established companies using their influence to avoid competition either by making laws that suit them most or just using their money to sue competitors to hell.

Comment

Re: what they want

Come on, this is just the usual student 'rite of passage' dust up with the Pigs. We've all been there haven't we?
                  Well, yes, but that bloke did look at me funny. He was asking for it.

Comment

I'll tell you what this is about

They don't understand how an economy works.

They are exactly like kids bullying the school swots.

Comment

Working...
                    X