• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So I'm going through some receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm going through some receipts

whilst listening to The Eagles, such is the excitement of my Sunday evening although there is strudel in the oven and it's starting to smell gorgeous. Anyway....

a number of those receipts already have twenty g$£ dam % written on them, you know 17.5% who cares but some of my day to day purchases (non-business) are notably more costly. It's not so much the VAT itself, which is a fair chunk, but the increase in the base costs that I've noticed.

If I'm noticing this how on earth are the little people coping?

We're doomed... etc
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

That's why I'm ducking down for a while and just going to focus on Plan A(As Space cadet would say, Plan B is Plan A).

I have to say (arrrcccchhh sppppiittttt). I agree with him.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I don't normally worry about money (which probably explains why I don't have much).

But just going for a quiet drink with a few friends is ruinous - Watch this:

Return tube fare (zones 2 - 1, we're not talking Upminster to Amersham) : 6.50
      Paper to read on tube : 1.50
      round of drinks, plus a couple of pints : 30.00 (roughly)
      pub snack : 10.00

which amounts to the thick end of £50

It's been a while since I was last clubbing; but I imagine with admission charges, overpriced drinks, and taxis one wouldn't have much change out of £150
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I don't normally worry about money (which probably explains why I don't have much).

But just going for a quiet drink with a few friends is ruinous - Watch this:

Return tube fare (zones 2 - 1, we're not talking Upminster to Amersham) : 6.50
        Paper to read on tube : 1.50
        round of drinks, plus a couple of pints : 30.00 (roughly)
        pub snack : 10.00

which amounts to the thick end of £50

It's been a while since I was last clubbing; but I imagine with admission charges, overpriced drinks, and taxis one wouldn't have much change out of £150
        30 minutes money? Pah!
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
        X