• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greenland Ice Sheet saw Record Melt in 2010

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenland Ice Sheet saw Record Melt in 2010

Greenland ice sheet saw record melt, study finds

The ice sheet covering Greenland melted at the fastest rate since records began in 1979, a new study shows. That’s important because the ice sheet is becoming a major contributor to projected sea level rises in coming decades.

.."This past melt season was exceptional, with melting in some areas stretching up to 50 days longer than average," said study co-author Marco Tedesco, director of the Cryospheric Processes Laboratory at The City College of New York.

"Melting in 2010 started exceptionally early at the end of April and ended quite late in mid- September," he added in a statement released with the study.

"Over the past 30 years, the area subject to melting in Greenland has been increasing" at about 17,000 square kilometers a year, Tedesco stated on his research website.

"This is equivalent to adding a melt-region the size of Washington state every ten years," he added. "Or, in alternative, this means that an area of the size of France melted in 2010 which was not melting in 1979."
    :
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

When we were in the depths of the recent (perhaps still on-going) cold spell, the weathermen were saying Greenland was warm because the jet stream was doing something unusual that meant it missed its usual more northerly path and hit Europe instead.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1253451

Comment

Will losing that ice free up enough land for people on low-lying islands to live on? Nature's quid pro quo perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        Will losing that ice free up enough land for people on low-lying islands to live on? Nature's quid pro quo perhaps?
        I expect it will mean we can find more oil to burn.

Comment

This sums up what's gone wrong with climate science:

Guest Post “Global Floods

I suspect the Greenland glaciers won't all melt away, it's probably like everything else, part of a long term natural cycle.

Be nice if climate scientists just tried to understand the climate.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Steam explodes from a glacier-topped Iceland volcano in an aerial picture taken April 14, 2010, by the Icelandic Coast Guard. The new eruption began Tuesday, just as the headline-making lava fountains at a neighboring, ice-free vent were dying down.

Volcanic heat is rapidly melting the 650-foot-thick (200-meter-thick) ice block atop the vent, which is part of Eyjafjallajökull volcano

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Here's another view on Greenland.

Easterbrook on the magnitude of Greenland GISP2 ice core data | Watts Up With That?
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yawn

Easterbrook’s wrong (again)
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

When the vikings discovered Greenland wasn't it relatively ice free? Simply because it's been ice covered for the better part of a millennium does that mean it should be or is it normally subject to cyclical changes?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    This sums up what's gone wrong with climate science:

Guest Post “Global Floods

I suspect the Greenland glaciers won't all melt away, it's probably like everything else, part of a long term natural cycle.

Be nice if climate scientists just tried to understand the climate.
                    Internet poster suspects glaciers won't all melt away. I shall alert the Daily Mail immediately.

Comment

Working...
                    X