• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench Time on CV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench Time on CV

Whats peoples experience of how a large amount of bench time looks on your CV to agents and clients when going out trying to get your next role?

I would assume that no-one should be that bothered of a large period of bench time unless it was a good year or more, as surely this is contracting?? Sometimes there may not be jobs around, sometimes you may want a 3/6 month break.

The reason I ask is the company I am currently at has a new contractor starting and when they were looking through CV's they were put off one guy as he had been out of work for 3 months and were wondering why and dismissed the CV, could understand it maybe more in a permie role (but even then there may be good reason) but a contract role?

Originally posted by robin View Post
    I would assume that no-one should be that bothered of a large period of bench time unless it was a good year or more, as surely this is contracting?? Sometimes there may not be jobs around, sometimes you may want a 3/6 month break.

The reason I ask is the company I am currently at has a new contractor starting and when they were looking through CV's they were put off one guy as he had been out of work for 3 months and were wondering why and dismissed the CV, could understand it maybe more in a permie role (but even then there may be good reason) but a contract role?
    A large percentage of Permies don't understand contracting.

They cannot fathom someone choosing to have 3 months off work (or affording it!).

Therefore, they assume there is something wrong.

It also makes sifting through 20/30/40 CV's a lot easier (even for those that DO fully understand contracting).

Also, Agents DO understand contracting (for the most part!), but they are also subject to these issues too.

Comment

Indeed, jmo21 sums it up well.

It shouldn't be a factor, but in reality it can be.

Comment

If you take a 3 or 6 month break you may never work again.

It's a risk.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This has been covered many many times. See more info here:

Contractors' Questions: Are gaps in my CV fatal? :: Contractor UK
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...p-look-cv.html
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...eer-break.html
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...ap-advice.html
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by robin View Post
            Whats peoples experience of how a large amount of bench time looks on your CV to agents and clients when going out trying to get your next role?

To some people it's a big deal. Mind you I've seen people with a string of 3/6 monthers on their CV get bounced as they 'obviously can't hold down' a contract. I've seen people with long contracts at blue chip companies get bounced for being too 'corporate'. Some people just hold irrational prejudices.

Personally I think the answer is to put what you've done, for who and what you've got to offer on the first page and move anything chronological further back in the CV. That way they've got to read through the important stuff first.
            Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
              To some people it's a big deal. Mind you I've seen people with a string of 3/6 monthers on their CV get bounced as they 'obviously can't hold down' a contract. I've seen people with long contracts at blue chip companies get bounced for being too 'corporate'. Some people just hold irrational prejudices.

Personally I think the answer is to put what you've done, for who and what you've got to offer on the first page and move anything chronological further back in the CV. That way they've got to read through the important stuff first.
              But then you get the idiots who think you've got something to hide by putting the dates at the back of the CV
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

There are also the over-mortgaged, up-to-their-necks-in-debt, keep-up-with-Jones types who could not dream of someone taking time off earning voluntarily. This lot are typically control freaks who don't like it if someone else doesn't do it their way.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

As was suggested on here some time ago, I structure my CV as a business rather than a chronological list of short term jobs. I head the 'experience' part of my CV with my company name

e.g. ABC Ltd 1999 to Present

Then I list projects I have worked on and their duration and what I did etc etc

e.g. NobJockey Bank -- 18 months
                  Fetish Insurance -- 6 months
                  Deviant Finance -- 12 months

I also state that some of the projects ran concurrently rather than consecutively and that I also work on a freelance basis as well as agency provided contract work and that I don't list all clients I have worked for but can provide these with dates on request (if necessary)

This covers periods on the bench as I am usually doings bits and pieces for clients I know while trying to find something more meaty.

Generally most agents understand what I am doing - some though get in a flap, but I usually ignore those
                  Last edited by Jubber; 24 January 2011, 12:02. Reason: add date bit

Comment

Working...
                  X