• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Night driving - what do you think?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night driving - what do you think?

Hi all
    After reading this report of a study on driving when tired I agree that driving tired can be dangerous but a blanket ban on driving more than 2 hours in the dark.

Being tired behind the wheel as bad as being drunk - Telegraph

What kind of attitude is that!?1?!

There must be another way to reduce the danger.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

How will they know, will you have to yawn into a sleepaliser?

IGMC

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Hi all
      After reading this report of a study on driving when tired I agree that driving tired can be dangerous but a blanket ban on driving more than 2 hours in the dark.
      I think a blanket ban is a sensible idea. Horrible, itchy things. Personally, I favour a cosy duvet when I'm driving at night.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        Hi all

Being tired behind the wheel as bad as being drunk - Telegraph

What kind of attitude is that!?1?!

There must be another way to reduce the danger.
        Pretty rubbish that. It might be harder to drive at night, but if they put proper cats eyes in, things would be easier. As the roads are quiet, I quite like doing late night driving.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          How will they know, will you have to yawn into a sleepaliser?

IGMC
          The will not have to know.
          The question is "How do you prove that you are innocent?"

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            Pretty rubbish that. It might be harder to drive at night, but if they put proper cats eyes in, things would be easier. As the roads are quiet, I quite like doing late night driving.
            Yes, fuelled by Coffee or Red Bull or Coca Cola - I also find night driving relaxing and nice and empty on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              No cats eyes in my neck of the woods - the snow ploughs would scrape them off.

When would driving be considered to be nighttime driving? Especially in winter, in Scotland, for example? Or will it be only between midnight and 4am? And how the zarking fardwarks would it be enforced?

There's a spot in Serbia, about 1000km from Berlin, which is notorious for crashes caused by tiredness. It's on the main route from Berlin to Turkey...
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That will work really well in the UK where mid winter it's dark by 4pm, I'd imagine it's the same in many parts of northern Europe.

1. How could it possibly be monitored?
                2. What constitutes a break?
                3. The test conditions they used were almost perfectly soporific, constant speed on motorways.
                4. The point about young drivers being prohibited from driving at night is ludicrous. The Police utterly fail to enforce many other motoring laws effectively, hell with ANPR available look at how many uninsured/untaxed cars there are on the roads, how often you see people holding a phone, not wearing a seatbelt.

Still I suppose the Telegraph filled some column inches with news of a reasonable bit of research even if some of the comments and conclusions are a tad silly.

Comment

Yeah night time driving on the M-way is great... nice and easy...

until you see this:

It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    That will work really well in the UK where mid winter it's dark by 4pm, I'd imagine it's the same in many parts of northern Europe.
                    Don't forget driving in the morning before 8am in winter. If you set off at 5am you could easily be driving for 2 or more hours in the dark.

Anyway the research in the article is not statistically valid for a number of reasons including the sample size, the age of the participants and the gender of the participants.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X