• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seventeen hundred or one thousand seven hundred

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seventeen hundred or one thousand seven hundred

What way would you say 1700?

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Seventeen hundred.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I dislike the hundreds variant and always convert to thousands.

Edit: the exception being dates, which convention appears to be that it is hundreds

Edit2: Not consistently though! Prior to 2000, you'd expect to hear dates uttered in centuries, but that sounds wrong after the year 2000 (spoken 'year two thousand', not 'year 20 hundred'). Does anyone say 'twenty hundred and 11' as the current year? No many probably. It's 'two thousand and eleven', or 'twenty eleven' (a hybrid not mentioning units). Just as not many would have said 'one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine' rather than 'nineteen hundred and ninety nine' in 1999.
      Last edited by TimberWolf; 24 January 2011, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        I dislike the hundreds variant and always convert to thousands.
        Same, I think it is an Americanism as I never knew my father to use it as a, now retired, accountant.

Comment

depends on the context and who i'm speaking to.
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Hundreds up to 2000, thousands thereafter, i.e. no "twenty-seven hundred".

After all, the numbers 11-19 use a different format to other 2 digit numbers. If it's twenty-four, thirty-four, fourty-four etc. why not onety-four instead of fourteen.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
              Hundreds up to 2000, thousands thereafter, i.e. no "twenty-seven hundred".

After all, the numbers 11-19 use a different format to other 2 digit numbers. If it's twenty-four, thirty-four, fourty-four etc. why not onety-four instead of fourteen.
              There's no oneteen and twoteen either

Comment

If one is conversing with non-native english speakers I should say the latter. Avoid americanisms it's not proper english.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I think you'll find what you've got me old son is.

A Bag of Sand, A Monkey, 4 Ponies, a Carpet, 6 Speckled Hens and a couple of Lady Godivas.

Sorted.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Fair comments re the teen numbers being a bit odd. I wonder why that came about?

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    depends on the context and who i'm speaking to.
                    Same here although generally speaking seventeen hundred for dates and one thousand seven hundred for almost all other uses would probably be right in my head.

Comment

Working...
                    X