• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another stupid question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another stupid question

50% tax rate payers.

If a 50% tax rate payer received (say for instance) a £100K bonus, the tax man would take £50K in tax and the poor permie would be left with £50K.

The permie now donates the £50K to charity and under the gift aid scheme, the charity claims back about 20% direct from HMRC.

So charity now has £60K, the tax man has £40K and you have none.

If you then put this onto your tax return, does the remaining £40K go to the charity or do you receive this as an offset to the tax you owe?

If it goes to offset the tax you owe, your £100K has benefitted you by £40K and the charity by £60K and the tax man has got nothing from your bonus?

Can anyone please let me know if I'm on the right track?

You can only claim the difference in rate (i.e. 50% - 20% = 30%) of the gross amount that the charity receives (£60k)

£60k * 30% = £18k

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...rity/DG_078490
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
      You can only claim the difference in rate (i.e. 50% - 20% = 30%) of the gross amount that the charity receives (£60k)

£60k * 30% = £18k

Tax relief when giving to charity through Gift Aid : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits
      Perhaps a better question is:

Given a £100K bonus gets paid to a 50% tax rate payer, and the said person gives the net bonus to charity and then declares the amount donated on their tax return, how much does the charity receive (after gift aid), how much to you receive and how much does the tax man keep?

Comment

donation -------- 50000
        incl. gift aid ------ 62500
        tax credit -------- 18750
        Hector keeps ----- 18750

IANAA
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Has this happened to you Dim?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            Has this happened to you Dim?