• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working when ill

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working when ill

Hi guys

When do you admit defeat and go home?

This morning I was feeling 98% and went into the office as usual.
    During the morning I am feeling more and more ill, I am slightly dizzy, I have coughed a bit, I have a headache, I can feel all the joints in my body, i am constantly feeling cold and my hands feel like ice cubes and worst of all I have no real apetite for lunch so I only eat a small sandwich.

I think it might have started yesterday at bedtime (02:00) I coughed a bit and felt restless but slept OK'ish.

I am of course still in the office in tribute to the wholy invoice.

I can still to small tasks but any complex thinking is best left for another day.

So, under these circumstances, would you guys go home early (to the house where there is a poorly 2 daughters and 1 wife also feeling poorly) or do you stay in the office to invoice and enjoy the calm you will not have if you return home?

Also I will enjoy any heroic stories about being ill/sick and still working, just to pass the time.

cheers guys
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

I was so ill last year I actually died on the way to work.

They took my dead body to site and put it in the chair. I still invoiced.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

"Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
        I can still to small tasks but any complex thinking is best left for another day.
        That's my motto even when I'm fully fit

Comment

Hi guys

This morning I was feeling 98% and went into the office as usual.
          During the morning I am feeling more and more ill, I am slightly dizzy, I have coughed a bit, I have a headache, I can feel all the joints in my body, i am constantly feeling cold and my hands feel like ice cubes and worst of all I have no real apetite for lunch so I only eat a small sandwich.

I think it might have started yesterday at bedtime (02:00) I coughed a bit and felt restless but slept OK'ish.

I am of course still in the office in tribute to the wholy invoice.

So, under these circumstances, would you guys go home early (to the house where there is a poorly 2 daughters and 1 wife also feeling poorly) or do you stay in the office to invoice and enjoy the calm you will not have if you return home?

Also I will enjoy any heroic stories about being ill/sick and still working, just to pass the time.

cheers guys
          Stop being a poof. Suck it up and get through to your required invoice period. That is all that matters.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

1. Convince them that you need to work from home for the rest of the day.
            2. Invent a meeting that you'll be busy in all afternoon and just head home.
            3. Just go home and bill anyway, if it's a big enough client they probably won't notice. For added realism, leave your coat/phone behind so they assume you're still in the building.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
              1. For added realism, leave your coat/phone behind so they assume you're still in the building.
              What a good idea, they think your in the office somewhere and they cannot call you to find out, its a win win situation

Comment

When you are sitting next to a permie who will complain to their upper management if you come in with your contagious cold/whatever the next day. Then on the way home on the tube half the carriage looks concerned as you look like you are passing out and will delay them getting home.

If you can safely travel to and from the client site then you can work.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

And it was the best day's work you've ever done.

Comment

They took my dead body to site and put it in the chair
                    That must have been the chair they gave me at the last contract.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X