• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climategate enquiry "unsatisfactory"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climategate enquiry "unsatisfactory"

The term whitewash springs to mind.

Official inquiries into the Climategate scandal unsatisfactory - Telegraph

MIght get interesting as the global temperatures plunge while they're looking at it.

Met office predicts global temp anomaly (temp above or below long term average) for 2011 to be 0.44 Celcius.

Rumour has it running at -0.1 so far this year. Early days yet, but the "monster" La Nina is deepening.

http://www.accuweather.com/video.asp?channel=vbbastaj
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 25 January 2011, 18:03.
    I'm alright Jack

You might want to apply a simple sanity test:- check out the credentials of the 'whitewashers' and ask the simple question of whether they would jeopardise their substantial reputations by signing off on the multiple reports that exonerated CRU when if they were wrong, it would likely be exposed sooner or later.

You will be shocked to discover that The Telegraph (employer of the incresingly absurd Delingpole), is cherry-picking a single word out of context for its headline. Here's the conclusion from the report

It is, however, important to bear in mind the considered
    view of the Government Chief Scientific Adviser, Professor Sir John Beddington, that
    the general issues on overall global temperature, on sea level and so on, are all pretty
    unequivocal
    ”. While we do have some reservations about the way in which UEA
    operated, the SAP review and the ICCER set out clear and sensible
    recommendations. In our view it is time to make the changes and improvements
    recommended and with greater openness and transparency move on.
    No doubt mountains will continue to be made out of molehills by those whose case lacks evidential underpinnings but the reality that there is not a shred of evidence for consequential scientific malpractice in the purloined mails from CRU, whose scientists and science are in any case a small proportion of those that make up the concensus.
    Last edited by pjclarke; 26 January 2011, 01:33.
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

pj, your uncritical fervour is starting to look a bit OTT. You are not related to Chauvin by any chance ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Unsatisfactory Climategate Enquiry.

Hi Mr. Andrew Montford,

I have just looked at your report on your 'Climategate' 'inquiry'-into-inquiries ( http://www.thegwpf.org/images/storie...-Inquiries.pdf ). About Lord Oxburgh's inquiry, you say,

The Scientific Assessment Panel headed by Lord Oxburgh was chosen so that only a minority of members could be expected to look at the evidence with 'questioning objectivity'. Despite their claim to the ontrary, the research papers the panel examined were not selected "on the advice of the Royal Society." [...] No records were kept of interviews and important papers have been destroyed.

And about the Muir Russell inquiry, you said,

Only CRU scientists were interviewed and no oral evidence was taken from critics.

With these in mind, I ask the following questions regarding your inquiry report:

1. How was the one-man panel (i.e. you) for the GWPF inquiry-into-inquiries selected? What measures were taken to ensure the objectivity of the panel? If no such measures were taken, why?
        2. In the course of your inquiry into the inquiries, which of the following principal people in the inquiries have you interviewed -- Lord Oxburgh, Sir Muir Russell, Geoffrey Boulton, Peter Clarke, James Norton, Phil Jones, Tim Osborn, Keith Briffa, Mike Hulme, Michael Mann? If some or all of them were not interviewed, why?
        3. If you did interview the above-named principal people in the inquiries, where are the records of the interview proceedings? If records of some or all of the interviews have not been kept, why?

I hope that, as someone who demands the highest standards in inquiries conducted by other people, you can show yourself to adhere to the same high standards.

No reply.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          You're wrong, incorrect, positively erroneous and talking out of your arse.

I was going to add "delusional" but that would be getting (too) personal.

Comment

the general issues on overall global temperature, on sea level and so on, are all pretty unequivocal

Both plunging at the moment, as predicted a few years back. Oh yes it might just be an aberration, but then again it might just be the beginning of a trend predicted 10 years ago. The lower solar cycle wasn't predicted by NASA even as little as a year ago, but it was predicted by the "quacks" the ones who don't have a reputation, and they also predicted the temps would plung around about 2010. Yes 2010 was almost as warm as 1998 (12 years later, even the warmest years can't break records) but the speed of the drop is quite remarkable.

Let Mother nature speak.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 January 2011, 10:17.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              2. In the course of your inquiry into the inquiries, which of the following principal people in the inquiries have you interviewed -- Lord Oxburgh, Sir Muir Russell, Geoffrey Boulton, Peter Clarke, James Norton, Phil Jones, Tim Osborn, Keith Briffa, Mike Hulme, Michael Mann? If some or all of them were not interviewed, why?
              Hey, someone with the same name as you.

Comment

Why do scientists send e-mails to each other to delete files and e-mails?

Answers on a postcard.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Why do scientists send e-mails to each other to delete files and e-mails?

Answers on a postcard.
                  but they didnt, it's all made up by the increasingly ludicrous <enter name here>, see link link link link link link link link link link link link
                  pjclarke
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
                    Your plurals are wrong - there was one such misjudged request from one scientists for emails subject to a rather arcane controversy over IPCC rules to be deleted. There is no evidence of data or files being deleted. This is the worst example to be found in 10 years of private mails?
                    The problem is, it's human nature to think 'he's done it once , he's done it before and he'll do it again. My impression , watching him at the inquiry, was that he thinks he is above the rules, they just dont apply to him. The end justifies the means.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X