• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent submitted my CV without permission...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agent submitted my CV without permission...

I've read about this before but never have I been a victim.

Today I was called by an agent with his client now wanting to have a telephone interview with myself. Perhaps not a big deal overhaul. But then I learned that it is the same client with whom another agent has contacted me about.

How do I sort this then? The client not one I want to cause a situation with yet I'm at with the rouge agent.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Has the other agent asked you to agree that they will represent you only for this role? If not and the rouge agent gets you an interview whats the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Today I was called by an agent with his client now wanting to have a telephone interview with myself. Perhaps not a big deal overhaul. But then I learned that it is the same client with whom another agent has contacted me about.

How do I sort this then? The client not one I want to cause a situation with yet I'm at with the rouge agent.

I am disturbed by this post.

Tone

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
        If not and the rouge agent gets you an interview whats the problem?
        They borrow money to finance their paystream
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Tell the agent that as you have given consent to the other agent to soley represent you, that you will only accept the offer from the other agency. As the agent who "secured" the opportunity for you without your consent, that they are in breach of the Data Protection Act and if they attempt to obtain any monies from you for going elsewhere, you will go to the Data Commissioner and report the agent for breach. seemples.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Same thing happened to me. I gave specific instructions not to send my CV as another agency had already sent it. After finding out about it, I spoke to the rogue agent and his excuse was that he was just sending the client some sample CVs. Winker.

Comment

this has been an age old problem and even after 18 years in the business, when there is conflict due to usually one muppet agent sending it out without your permission things can get very agressive from the agents side particularly if the end client complains, of course in this scenario the agent who is in the wrong always tries to blames you when the angry end client enquires.

Best thing to do is send out an e-mail to the agent who you think has the best chance of getting you the best rate/role (selecting him as your exclusive representative) as you may want him to continue looking for you in the immeditate future (agencies forget about CV clashes with other agencies in about 3-4 months).

When I first mail my CV to any agent I always state "please inform me where you are sending my CV", problem is agents who pluck the CV off jobserve and pass it to colleagues, by that time any additional notes you have put on jobserve etc would have been lost as they've played parce the parcel with your CV.

I digress a little but note this I know all the tricks of agents inside out, the one that they use in the City based type contracts is "Hello, <my name> I'm going to meet 'a client' on Friday and take some CVs to show him, do you mind if I include your CV in the pile ...?" (this is an industry convention) .... if you hear these words do not allow them to do this unless of course you get it in writing in an e-mail stating "who" the end client is and "which department" the CV is going to be shown to, otherwise the agent will use it as a 'green light' to blast your CV whereever he/she likes.

In summary its funny regarding what little control you have of your CV given that there are all these privacy laws and data protection laws which are meant to be there to let you know what other people have done with your private/personal data - you just go try and get a complete and truthful answer from an agent regarding where he sent your CV out to - I bet only 20% of agents are completely honest for this.
              Last edited by sbakoola; 26 January 2011, 06:42.

Comment

I thought 'rouge agent' was some special term I'd not heard before, felt quite out of the loop there
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                  this has been an age old problem and even after 18 years in the business, when there is conflict due to usually one muppet agent sending it out without your permission things can get very agressive from the agents side particularly if the end client complains, of course in this scenario the agent who is in the wrong always tries to blames you when the angry end client enquires.

Best thing to do is send out an e-mail to the agent who you think has the best chance of getting you the best rate/role (selecting him as your exclusive representative) as you may want him to continue looking for you in the immeditate future (agencies forget about CV clashes with other agencies in about 3-4 months).

When I first mail my CV to any agent I always state "please inform me where you are sending my CV", problem is agents who pluck the CV off jobserve and pass it to colleagues, by that time any additional notes you have put on jobserve etc would have been lost as they've played parce the parcel with your CV.

I digress a little but note this I know all the tricks of agents inside out, the one that they use in the City based type contracts is "Hello, <my name> I'm going to meet 'a client' on Friday and take some CVs to show him, do you mind if I include your CV in the pile ...?" (this is an industry convention) .... if you hear these words do not allow them to do this unless of course you get it in writing in an e-mail stating "who" the end client is and "which department" the CV is going to be shown to, otherwise the agent will use it as a 'green light' to blast your CV whereever he/she likes.

In summary its funny regarding what little control you have of your CV given that there are all these privacy laws and data protection laws which are meant to be there to let you know what other people have done with your private/personal data - you just go try and get a complete and truthful answer from an agent regarding where he sent your CV out to - I bet only 20% of agents are completely honest for this.
                  In reality though, publishing your CV online makes it public property whether we like it or not.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

They borrow money to finance their paystream
                    Factoring?

It happens all the time.

If you ever want to go direct and need someone to factor your invoices then I know just the man.

Comment

Working...
                    X