• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - I'm confused

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Fat Gypsy Wedding - I'm confused

What's the difference between a gypsy, a chav and an Irish person? Sorry no offence to any Irish people but why do gypsies have Irish accents? I thought gypsies had Indian roots from a thousand years ago but these seem to be Christian and have Irish accents.
    And they behave like chavs.
    Seriously I am quite ignorant about this stuff given my posh background, so I'd appreciate some explanation.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Bride kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Possible bride kidnapping in Central Asia, circa 1870Bride kidnapping, also known as marriage by abduction or marriage by capture, is a practice throughout history and around the world in which a man abducts the woman he wishes to marry. Bride kidnapping still occurs in countries spanning Central Asia, the Caucasus region, and parts of Africa, and among peoples as diverse as the Hmong in southeast Asia, the Tzeltal in Mexico, and the Romani in Europe.
    Last edited by Paddy; 25 January 2011, 22:38.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And your reference is...?
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        What's the difference between a gypsy, a chav and an Irish person? Sorry no offence to any Irish people but why do gypsies have Irish accents? I thought gypsies had Indian roots from a thousand years ago but these seem to be Christian and have Irish accents.
        Seriously I am quite ignorant about this stuff given my posh background, so I'd appreciate some explanation.

Idiot.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Gypsies (travellers?) have a strong culture and tradition, chavs are just bums. Most seem to be catholic AFAIK - my wife teaches in a RC school and they have something like 25% travellers enrolled there, attracted by the RC part.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Gypsies are Romanies.
            Irish Travellers have a different (Irish) heritage.

It's all on wiki I expect.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              None taken - you can't help that you are ignorant.

I think you will find that the programme was incorrectly titled. To my mind Gypsies are Roma type people not what was on TV last night.

Those were pikeys/tinkers.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Gypsies are Romanies.
                Irish Travellers have a different (Irish) heritage.

It's all on wiki I expect.
                Exactly - Irish Travellers commonly referred to as Tinkers as they historically made stuff out of tin and sold it to the local communitites.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Gypsies (travellers?) have a strong culture and tradition, chavs are just bums. Most seem to be catholic AFAIK - my wife teaches in a RC school and they have something like 25% travellers enrolled there, attracted by the RC part.
                  Irish travellers tend to be Catholic, but I believe most English Gypsies are Anglican (with their own folk traditions around death and afterlife).

Comment

I use Catholic in the loosest sense of the term... but you're probably right, the ones at the missus' school are simply "travellers" but I don't know of what variety.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X