• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ze Germans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ze Germans

I have been to Munich for the last couple of days. Even met Doodab for a few weissbiers, which was nice.

I have to say I thought the German people were really very nice. The very fact that baked into the language is the term "bitte schon" (meaning "your welcome and usually said after you say danke schon) for me means that manners are the norm.

Couldn't stand living there though. Everything is so precise, and scrutinised. The analogy I came up with is if an Englishman and a German were in a hotel and the fire alarm went off the Engishman would leg it out of the door to the nearest fire exit. The German would debate which fire exit was nearest, examine the "In case of fire" instructions on the wall, note down the steps, discuss whether the process was the most efficient it could be, propose and document a new process and burn the fkcking death at the same time.

But at least he would be very polite while doing this.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

But they've also got the word 'schadenfreude' meaning gaining pleasure out of other peoples misfortune. Bit like this forum really....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      But they've also got the word 'schadenfreude' meaning gaining pleasure out of other peoples misfortune. Bit like this forum really....
      Ah yes, bad glee. It's like when I smile when I read that Van Der Sar is leaving ManUre.

Comment

Have you spotted the swastikas on the Hofbrauhaus ceiling?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Have you spotted the swastikas on the Hofbrauhaus ceiling?
          This group of Nazis I was on the lash with did.

Comment

Ok I was kidding about the Nazis.

They eat an awful lot of meat. Particularly pig. Schweinfleisch.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Ok I was kidding about the Nazis.

They eat an awful lot of meat. Particularly pig. Schweinfleisch.
              congratulations on you having been outside the UK.

now get back in your cage
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                congratulations on you having been outside the UK.

now get back in your cage
                Oooh goody he's back.

Go on then, entertain me.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  The analogy I came up with is if an Englishman and a German were in a hotel and the fire alarm went off the Engishman would leg it out of the door to the nearest fire exit. The German would debate which fire exit was nearest, examine the "In case of fire" instructions on the wall, note down the steps, discuss whether the process was the most efficient it could be, propose and document a new process and burn the fkcking death at the same time.

But at least he would be very polite while doing this.
                  Actually when you went into your hotel room you would have seen the fire instructions on the inside of the door. The German would have read them after unpacking and would have them memorised. Therefore when there is a fire he would know which way to go and would be able to exit in an orderly manner whereas the Englishman would have rushed off like a headless chicken in the wrong direction, bouncing off the walls before getting a grip and asking someone.

Actually each time I have to do work in the UK one of the first things that seems to happen is that someone takes me round the building showing me all the fire exits and what to do in the event of an emergency. Here they show you where the coffee machines are, the canteen and where you can have a fag. Plus they don't have lifts that go 'First floor. Doors opening. Doors closing.' Whats that all about then, eh?

And Weißbier is tulip, tastes like bananas (some people even put banana juice in it.) In fact one way to wind up Bavarians is to tell them that Weißbier originally comes from north Germany.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

wiebeer my bum. who won the war then herr firescape ?

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X