• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract probation period and mortgages

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract probation period and mortgages

I'm hoping to start my first contract soon but I'm also hoping to
    move house in the coming months too.

I've found a broker who says that I can get a mortgage as a new contractor based on my solid permie IT experience, but says the lenders won't give me money while I'm under a probation period.

How common is it for an IT contract to have a probation period and what sort of lengths do they last? I thought this was a clause in permie contracts although a mate said he had a 6 month probation period when he did a 12 month fixed term contract job once...? Any advice much appreciated.

God what is this? Every permie is becoming a contractor and buying a house today? :rolleyes

Comment

"but says the lenders won't give me money while I'm under a probation period."

Probation period; you must still be a permie!

Comment

Well, I just left my permie role to start contracting but the broker seemed to think that IT contracts would still have a probation period. I don't know if they will or not since I haven't got my first one yet... that's why I'm asking.

Comment

Depends on your conviction and the size of your cajones.

If they insist on a short "trial" period tell them that you consider that a short contract and your rate rises accordingly.

Comment

Do you give your window cleaner a probabtion period?

Do you give your mechanic a probation period?

Are you a real business or an employee?

If you are a real business then you have no probation period. If you are tulipe at the job then:

1) They shouldn't have hired your company.

2) They should fire your company.

Just like the way you don't go back to a tulipe mechanic.

Comment

Looks like I'm not going to get a simple yes or no on this one. So I'll assume that there "may" be something in the contract but I could probably negotiate it out?

To me it seems a pointless thing to have in there since the client can terminate the contract at any time (with suitable notice period) anyway? At least that was the deal with contractors I've worked with before.

Comment

Looks like I'm not going to get a simple yes or no on this one.
                You’re asking whether there is a probation clause in a contract that doesn’t even exit yet.

What kind of yes or no answer are you looking for?

Comment

Its hard to tell without seeing your contract but I can say that none of the contracts Ive ever worked in (in both England and NZ) have had probation periods.

I think its a rather unusual thing to have unless you are in a contract to permie position.

Regards

Mailman

Comment

Invexis

No point in looking for a simple answer from this bunch of wind-up merchants! :b

I've never had a contract with a probation period in it - though I've heard of them being asked for occasionally. If one is suggested, insist on it being v. short (say 1 week) with a proper review and sign off at the end. As you say, most contracts don't need one, as the client can terminate at very short notice anyway.

But to get to your main point, about the mortgage, you may have to go down the self-certification route to begin with, where stuff like that doesn't usually come in to it, then re-mortgage (to get a cheaper rate) after you've built up the contracting record.

BTW - you'll have to learn a whole new terminology as well - you're not an employee now, you are "in business on your own account" - it's a new mindset - have a look at other contractor sites like Shout99 and the Professional Contractors Group (subscription only) to get an idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X