• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Munich accommodation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Munich accommodation?

Other than toytown anyone have some good links that I could follow?

Ohh look at grey squirrel racing up yon tree.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Try here
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Din't work it woz all tourist @£$%$
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

The two main ones for short term lets that I know of are

Apartments Munich, Furnished Apartments Munich, Furnished Accommodation Munich, Furnished Flats Munich, Liz Frey Relocation Services Munich, Top 5 Flat Agencies, 1 Bedroom Flat Munich, 2 Bedroom Flat Munich, Houses Munich

Wohnungen Mnchen - Mr. Lodge - mblierte Apartments, Huser auf Zeit in Mnchen
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

danke schoen

Comment

Good places to start looking

So having just been through the process of finding somewhere to live I thought I'd share me experiences.

We've just secured our 130 sq meters of un-furnished apartment in only 3 weeks of searching. I've been told that's an achievement to be proud of here, complete with underground car park.

Best of all provision free, i.e. I don't pay the agent 2.4 x months rent as a commission. (Imagine a UK agency doing that, people would flip, let alone putting down 3 months of deposit) UK system seems like bliss afterwards, not to mention far too cheap.

Places I recommend for searching:

Provisionsfreie Wohnungen und Häuser mieten oder kaufen

Immobilien, Wohnungen und Häuser bei ImmobilienScout24 mieten, kaufen, inserieren

And of course if you do not want to furnish then: Wohnungen Mnchen - Mr. Lodge - mblierte Apartments, Huser auf Zeit in Mnchen

However we found that with the commission we might of paid would easy furnish a 2-bed apartment. (5000 €)

Oh and one last thing, we'd choose Berlin over Munich.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Why? And what skillsets are the Germans looking for? And is jobserve the place to find them (the jobs that is, not the skillsets one has to say one has)?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Why? And what skillsets are the Germans looking for? And is jobserve the place to find them (the jobs that is, not the skillsets one has to say one has)?
                Berlin is Europe's best kept secret IMO. No ones gives it a second thought, it's not over crowed, culture oozing out of every corner, best public transport I've ever seen, very liberal and laid back, beer gardens the whole family can enjoy not just you and your mates, masses of green space and lakes nearby, warm summers. Of course jobs are scarce but niche so well paid if you can get in, but a real cheap place to live comparing with the UK. It's got a good balance, where living is the priority and commerce is somewhere way down the list. "Sleep is commercial, life is just a dream" Something I saw spray painted on the wall last year, sums up the city for me.

German's are looking for engineers, lots of them, although I don't think IT related. If you've got a math degree or similar history your in easy. I contacted a few german companies rather than the usual crowd, even got in direct with one. The big companies are not so agency obsessed like the UK, if anything they reward the 'don't ask don't get' attitude, IMO.

Comment

No ones gives it a second thought, it's not over crowed, culture oozing out of every corner, best public transport I've ever seen, very liberal and laid back, beer gardens the whole family can enjoy not just you and your mates, masses of green space and lakes nearby, warm summers. Of course jobs are scarce but niche so well paid if you can get in, but a real cheap place to live comparing with the UK.
                  You could say a lot of the same things about Munich TBH. It's not as liberal as Berlin, a bit richer and a bit more expensive, but it's a great city to live in, it seems there are more jobs here especially in IT, and it's close to the Alps.

Also, the beer garden is a Bavarian invention, and Munich's beer gardens are quite simply the best anywhere, some of them are huge (but rarely too busy to enjoy) and most have large well shaded children's play areas so you can sit there even on a sunny summer afternoon and enjoy a Maß while the kids wear themselves out. I had a book called the "Beirgarten Führer" which you might want to obtain a copy of.

Whereabouts in Munich are you? Perhaps we could go for a beer one evening.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

So having just been through the process of finding somewhere to live I thought I'd share me experiences.

We've just secured our 130 sq meters of un-furnished apartment in only 3 weeks of searching. I've been told that's an achievement to be proud of here, complete with underground car park.

Best of all provision free, i.e. I don't pay the agent 2.4 x months rent as a commission. (Imagine a UK agency doing that, people would flip, let alone putting down 3 months of deposit) UK system seems like bliss afterwards, not to mention far too cheap.

Places I recommend for searching:

Provisionsfreie Wohnungen und Häuser mieten oder kaufen

Immobilien, Wohnungen und Häuser bei ImmobilienScout24 mieten, kaufen, inserieren

And of course if you do not want to furnish then: Wohnungen Mnchen - Mr. Lodge - mblierte Apartments, Huser auf Zeit in Mnchen

However we found that with the commission we might of paid would easy furnish a 2-bed apartment. (5000 €)

The Germans seem to move around a lot less than we do, I suspect the cost of moving plays a large part in that. I don't have any personal experience aside from making a few basic enquiries but I know that one of my colleagues found "regular" landlords were often unwilling to deal with you if you didn't speak German well and were only planning to be here for short time i.e. 1-2 years.

Another thing to bear in mind with "normal" renting here is that you will normally be required to redecorate / repaint, there are laws about how often the landlord can require that different parts of the house need doing and from what I gather it means that when you move out it has to have been done within the specified time. I think it also needs to be in the contract to be enforceable.

The other big thing is ventilation, most German houses I have been in are hermetically sealed and you need to open the windows for 5-10 minutes of a morning and evening to let the moist air out or you will end up with a lot of condensation and mildew / fungal growth can set in within a few weeks in the winter months. A dehumidifier can be a worthwhile investment although avoid the super cheap ones from conrad as they break

With hindsight I wish I had gone down the "normal" route when I came here 2 1/2 years ago. Although it would meant relocating my family, which was a hard sell with a 3 month contract, it would have saved me a fortune running two houses and mean I wouldn't have to go home to London which TBH I am not looking forwards to.

Comment

Working...
                    X