• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Beer 'n' keyboards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beer 'n' keyboards

OOOOOOOHHHHH FFFFFFEEEEECCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!

Across this desk I have

Laptop ...... netbook ........desktop PC

A little while ago (40 mins or so) I sent my nearly full pint flying.

By an amazing feat of tuliptiness, I managed to get it into all three keyboards, the netbook speaker, and a monitor speaker.

The netbook took the worst of it. Beer was still dripping from the SD and USB sockets a few moments ago. It is the netbook that has all my email.

This here clunky old laptop is fine and has been abused so often in the past it now expects such treatment.

I have a spare desktop PC keyboard.

I think I shall be doing a backup of the netbook tonight, while the keyboard and motherboard are still responding...

My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. 'Tis a terrible waste of beer. I always keep a straw in a glass case with an "in case of emergency" notice on it.

Comment

The Netbook screen is a little shagged.

The top left appears to have beer in there, courtesy of osmosis.

Arse.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

OOps. Got a crunchy keyboard now on my netbook.

Comment

Should have got a Mac.

Scooter.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Should have got a Mac.

Scooter.
            Very first hit in Google:

"I had a crunchy keyboard on my mbp after spilling beer on it (go figure)."

Comment

Shut the things down and hoick out the hard drives. Drives tend to be very good at withstanding spillage, as far as the internals where the data lives is concerned - the problems arise when the external controller circuitry gets wet, or other parts of the system start short-circuiting and sending bizarre signals down the bus. Keyboards and screens are the least of your worries when you have valuable data on the disc.

I would act like a dick and make patronising comments about backups, but I only do that to the kind of dick that makes patronising comments about backups. You are not a member of that set. I still think the WinME thing is a bit weird though

Comment

What a terrible waste of beer!

You have my commiserations.

Comment

My desk smells like a brewery this morning. Can't think why.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Shut the things down and hoick out the hard drives. Drives tend to be very good at withstanding spillage, as far as the internals where the data lives is concerned - the problems arise when the external controller circuitry gets wet, or other parts of the system start short-circuiting and sending bizarre signals down the bus. Keyboards and screens are the least of your worries when you have valuable data on the disc.
                  I appear to have got away with it, so far. Although what effect corrosion will have has yet to be seen.

Between instantly tipping out the liquid and stripping down the netbook + liberal use of cans of sprayduster (the secret weapon in my support arsenal - IT support's WD40) has saved it from serious failure, I think.

I would act like a dick and make patronising comments about backups, but I only do that to the kind of dick that makes patronising comments about backups. You are not a member of that set.
                  I am a member of the set "people who have had a catastrophic disk failure", ergo I am also a member of the superset "people who do backups".

I still think the WinME thing is a bit weird though
                  WinME is a thing of such beauty that few can withstand her gaze long enough to see her eternal form; it is an epic tragedy of the type that made Greeks (or Geeks) start holy wars. I saw through the glare to the perfection beneath and was smitten on site and we have learned to love one another into old age, come what may. I no longer expect others to understand. Love is like that.

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  What a terrible waste of beer! You have my commiserations.
                  Indeed it was. I am getting near to the very end of my stock, too. Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X