• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dont worry, its getting better under the tories - yes, really.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont worry, its getting better under the tories - yes, really.

Well perhaps not if you cannot afford to pay for hip, hernia and knee operations. With budgets likely to be shifted to gP's, never mind, its not the tories fault.

Patient care at risk under NHS reforms, experts warn - Telegraph

Operations could be cancelled as GPs try to save money under a new system that gives them control of billion-pound budgets, it has been claimed.

Standards could also suffer as doctors give preference to local hospitals or cheap private providers rather than established regional centres of excellence, while clinicians are ignored under the revised arrangements.

Royal colleges, professional bodies, think tanks and charities have written briefings for MPs on the controversial Health and Social Care Bill ahead of its second reading in the Commons on Monday. They believe the scale and pace of change being imposed on the NHS is too great when it is being asked to find £20 billion of savings within four years
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Well perhaps not if you cannot afford to pay for hip, hernia and knee operations. With budgets likely to be shifted to gP's, never mind, its not the tories fault.

Operations could be cancelled as GPs try to save money under a new system that gives them control of billion-pound budgets, it has been claimed.

Standards could also suffer as doctors give preference to local hospitals or cheap private providers rather than established regional centres of excellence, while clinicians are ignored under the revised arrangements.

Royal colleges, professional bodies, think tanks and charities have written briefings for MPs on the controversial Health and Social Care Bill ahead of its second reading in the Commons on Monday. They believe the scale and pace of change being imposed on the NHS is too great when it is being asked to find £20 billion of savings within four years
    A leftie contractor
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

There is obviously risk in these reforms, but this is a prejudgement before the reforms have taken place.

The NHS was a good value for money service under the last Conservative government, if one with waiting lists and suffering from under investment.

Under the last Labour governments it became one of the most expensive health services in the world.

I don't believe it was left in a sustainable shape by the last Labour government, but I'd probably like to see a more cautious move to reform.

I'm not convinced the NHS is in good shape finanacially with all the PFI debts it gained in the last Labour government.

I wonder if we shouldn't go for a more privatised model as in France and Germany after all the NHS although offering good treatment doesn't pretend to be particularly efficient...
      Last edited by Green Mango; 29 January 2011, 11:00.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        A leftie contractor
        Provided Bolshie doesn't have to pay for public services himself, obviously...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

- I warn you not to be ordinary

- I warn you not to be young

- I warn you not to fall ill

- I warn you not to get old.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Green Mango View Post
            I wonder if we shouldn't go for a more privatised model as in France and Germany after all the NHS although offering good treatment doesn't pretend to be particularly efficient...
            Where did I hear the other day that you're twice as likely to survive a heart attack in France? And it's well known that cancer survival rates are lower here than in than in most other first world countries:

From 2007, after 10 years of Labour's investment in the NHS:

UK cancer survival rate lowest in Europe - Telegraph

Cancer survival rates in Britain are among the lowest in Europe, according to the most comprehensive analysis of the issue yet produced.

England is on a par with Poland despite the NHS spending three times more on health care.
            It seems we could learn a few things from Poland, let alone France and Germany.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Where did I hear the other day that you're twice as likely to survive a heart attack in France? And it's well known that cancer survival rates are lower here than in than in most other first world countries:

Thats especially true in some parts of the country like the North West were past statistics have shown that cancer survival rates are not particularly good on a European basis.

Then again people can help themselves drink less alchol, don't smoke and eat a healthier diet ...

The extension of pub drinking hours looks like an especially stupid Labour government measure !

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I suggest you listen to Radio 4's "More or Less" when it is on. Every time these statistics get trotted out by the politicians or media, More or Less rips them apart.

The countries of Europe do not, and never have, used the same definitions on death certificates. For example, France has "sudden death" which we do not. Most heart attacks in France go down as "sudden death". While we show far more deaths by heart attack than France, they have far more "sudden deaths" because we have none.

We have also become very good at post-mortems and classifying causes: "natural death" is getting rare. Other countries still use it for old people dying of cancer and other diseases so we appear to have have very bad heart and cancer death statistics with nobody dying of old age. In reality, we are living longer and often getting more and more varied treatment than countries which appear to be doing better.

These medical statistics between countries are not valid because they are not comparable - they are specifically picked by politicians and the media to make points or fill column inches.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

To quote from the above link:

"They also fear that the reorganisation ... will lead to the loss of expertise as two tiers of management are removed"

Since when has "expertise" ever been found in management?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    I suggest you listen to Radio 4's "More or Less" when it is on. Every time these statistics get trotted out by the politicians or media, More or Less rips them apart.

The countries of Europe do not, and never have, used the same definitions on death certificates. For example, France has "sudden death" which we do not. Most heart attacks in France go down as "sudden death". While we show far more deaths by heart attack than France, they have far more "sudden deaths" because we have none.

We have also become very good at post-mortems and classifying causes: "natural death" is getting rare. Other countries still use it for old people dying of cancer and other diseases so we appear to have have very bad heart and cancer death statistics with nobody dying of old age. In reality, we are living longer and often getting more and more varied treatment than countries which appear to be doing better.

These medical statistics between countries are not valid because they are not comparable - they are specifically picked by politicians and the media to make points or fill column inches.
                    You can do a lot of harm with statistics and "Management Information". In healthcare you can actually kill people.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X