• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: You're gonna luv this one... brighten up your Monday....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: You're gonna luv this one... brighten up your Monday....

Oh Dear....

Coming soon: Compulsory water meters for all . . . And you'll pay £200 installation price | Mail Online

'Coming soon: Compulsory water meters for all . . . and you'll pay £200 installation price'

Milan.

Read more: Coming soon: Compulsory water meters for all . . . And you'll pay £200 installation price | Mail Online'

I have a water meter & it works in my favour - as there are only 2 of us in a 4 bed house, (water companies guess usage with nr of bedrooms as a guide), it seems harsh but if we have to pay for water why not on a usage basis same as everything else?
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Comment

I don't agree with the consumer paying for the metering equipment directly, but I've no problem with a water meter (I have one at this house). They are common all over Europe (every house in Cyprus has one for example).

Why should I let a water company guess how much water I'm using and bill me for water I'm not using?

And it gives control of your water bill over to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
        I have a water meter & it works in my favour - as there are only 2 of us in a 4 bed house, (water companies guess usage with nr of bedrooms as a guide), it seems harsh but if we have to pay for water why not on a usage basis same as everything else?
        Water meters won’t work in your favour in the future. The water companies require £XXX in revenue, once everyone house is on a water meter the water companies will still require £XXX in revenue even if less water is consumed. Prices will increase to meet the profit requirements of water companies. It won't be long before you pay 20p per litre.

Water supply should provided by local councils and paid for out of council tax like it used to be.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Water meters won’t work in your favour in the future. The water companies require £XXX in revenue, once everyone house is on a water meter the water companies will still require £XXX in revenue even if less water is consumed. Prices will increase to meet the profit requirements of water companies. It won't be long before you pay 20p per litre.

Water supply should provided by local councils and paid for out of council tax like it used to be.
          When was that then?

I remember "Water Rates" but not paying for water from the "Council Tax".

Comment

Terrible idea.

Were big bath users and we have people staying all the time.

Cost me a fortune!
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Terrible idea.

Were big bath users and we have people staying all the time.

Cost me a fortune!
              Damp flannel once a week.

Boomed!

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                For gawds sake Milan, will you stop posting crap from the Daily Heil. In their words:

The cost of installing a meter will run to £200 per house, a sum likely to be passed on to consumers.
                They are the only paper putting this spin on it. None of the others say anything about who will pay for meters and none of them even mention the cost of a meter.

Yet another screaming headline with no actual facts behind it, aimed at "Vaguely irritated but we don't know why" of middle England.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  When was that then?

I remember "Water Rates" but not paying for water from the "Council Tax".
                  From the 1930s to 1950s when local authorities were known as Corporations. I think Council Tax was called the "Rates".
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The Daily Heil story is alarmist and it's old news anyway.

Water companies already have the right to make the installation of water meters compulsory and have done for a few years.

I live in an area where the company puts in a water meter when the ownership of a property changes.

This is caused problems as the company has idiots for "customer service" operators who presume a change of name on the bill equals a change of property ownership, when all it often means is that the person who renting the property has changed.

In addition I live at a postcode where they know I can't have a water meter fitted yet they still sent someone out to do a survey. The guy had to take photographs to prove that he had visited my property.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X