• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

preparation for interviews?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

preparation for interviews?

Hi All,

I'm currently starting the hunt for my next gig; I'll spend the next 2 weeks (at least!) going over previous roles/responsibilities/skills and then use the internet to brush up on general Oracle/Java skills. Only then will I start browsing job sites, contacting agents, etc ...

Although I've never had (much) problems finding a contract, was wondering if my preparation is a bit OTT from others' techniques (I mean, 2 solid weeks of just prep. beforehand??!).

Do most of you just wing it a bit when looking for a job and do the quantity-of-interviews over quality, or is there another medium out there?

Just curious ...

I tend to practice interview technique at home in front of a mirror and then I compose myself in the cubicle at the
    client site just before

I do 30 minutes before I leave. Always the same

'Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me? Well there ain't no one else round here? Are you the best goddamn contractor in the room? Are you talking to me?'

I then follow this up with some deep breathing in the bogs before saying 'i'm a tiger. A TIGER!! grrrr' before meeting the client and then tearing them apart in the interview.

Hth

Tony the Tiger
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      'Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me? Well there ain't no one else round here? Are you the best goddamn contractor in the room? Are you talking to me?'

I then follow this up with some deep breathing in the bogs before saying 'i'm a tiger. A TIGER!! grrrr' before meeting the client and then tearing them apart in the interview.
      I'd have thought that,

"I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it."

would be more you.

Comment

Get yourself some killer interview questions together, like "You don't mind me coming in late, having a 2 hour lunch and leaving early, do you?"

Or if you're a permie, then the one that has always got me the job is "How long can I have off sick without a sick note"

Comment

The only preparation I do:

1) know my CV inside out

3) Draft a response to the requirement against the job spec

d) be myself (that means I never wear a tie)
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Bit of a feeble windup OP, but just about an interesting topic.
            I know my CV backwards and have competency answers to virtually everything I am likely to be asked, I just select from the list.
            Oh - and the last thing I would be is myself, no more than I would on a first date as I am presenting a shiny better version of myself and I always wear a tie...

Comment

Rehearse my latest CV so I have it completely meomrised.
              Practise responding to the name stated on the CV
              Show up early and crack out a quick one and wipe it off in the curtains.
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                Show up early and crack out a quick one and wipe it off in the curtains.
                What if it's vertical blinds?
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  The only preparation I do:

1) know my CV inside out

3) Draft a response to the requirement against the job spec

d) be myself (that means I never wear a tie)
                  WHS
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                  X