• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to do - new contract offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do - new contract offer

Morning Folks,

amazing thing is

sometimes, describing a problem helps make it easier to find the solution

ok got a solution to this

thanks all

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 2 February 2011, 10:23.

Sooo... are you gonna fish or cut bait?

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Morning Folks,

got a bit of a dilema and request advice from learned friends on CUK.

Currently in a cushy contract...

.net admin - all the latest and greatest components, installations, integrations, migrations, upgrades all the juicy work with the juiciest components

. doing one week on one week off

problem.... it's a bob outsourcing contract and with every extension the chance of a future extension becomes less and less

on the other side I'm the last contractor here and am nice to people and do the work other people don't want to touch

current contract ends in three weeks - waiting to hear if they will extend - management are being coy and its hard to call

on the other side, colleagues openly say if I go they're not willing to take over what I do

now....

got this agency courting me about a 6 monther in the same city as this one, new implementation, specially suited to my experience and skills

they're not sure if I'll get Friday's from home

rate is fine

they say the client has turned down all the cv's they've sent so far and they reckon my cv is a perfect match for what the customer wants and they reckon i'll get it

they are reluctant to put me forward and negotiate unless I give them upfront agreement that if they can get my conditions that I will walk from here even if there's an extension here

I understand their point and don't play games and don't mess people around and don't waste people's time so I see what they say 100%

what to do ?

shall I go for the other one or wait until I know if I am getting extended or not here ?

sorry for the sob story post

will of course return to normal service of posting daily mail doom later

Milan.

On one hand, "better the devil you know" and "a bird in the hand... etc..."

But in your case we can see the Bob army marching in and taking over the SAP world, so not all is well with the future of the Benes empire there.

I would be tempted to go for the new contract, but only on terms that I would be happy with. So lay down your cards, specify the rate you want and the fact that you want Fridays at home etc. Then tell them you need a decision within 2 weeks.

The alternative is to ride out the contract with Bob for as long as you can.... it sounds like the easy life for you so why not just enjoy it, and when it ends take some time out and look for a new contract then. SAP's not going to disappear, you'll find another contract in no time.

Comment

Morning Folks,

got a bit of a dilema and request advice from learned friends on CUK.

Currently in a cushy contract...

.net admin - all the latest and greatest components, installations, integrations, migrations, upgrades all the juicy work with the juiciest components

. doing one week on one week off

Milan.
        Not sure what you mean by this?
        are you only working 2 weeks in four or working from home 2 weeks in 4.

As far as Bob is concerned, you are on the way out. They just have not managed to organise it yet, there could be several thing that have not fallen into place, but they will someday. However for you it may not be the right time to find a new role. Stay if you want to take that chance and you want some holiday/bench time.

If not get while the going is good.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

bugger ChimpMaster you got me

ok,

took the john major approach...

wait and see :-)

all's good in the .net hood

bob hasn't got it all covered yet

bob's problem is even he is getting too expensive these days and the hard core outsourcing clients now want cheaper from philipines and brazil etc

which is fine for the most routine of tasks

but there'll always be a place for those of us willing to do the work the others don't want to do

thanks for the feedback all

Milan.

Comment

AP luv,

yes one week from home one week from the office for the last 3,5 years

funny thing is, I share all the doco, I write doco, share everything and still the bob's don't want to take over from me

latest bob working with me told me today if they ask him to take over he'll tell them to keep me for another 6 months for handover otherwise he'll find another project within the company

it's a funny old world

simple strategy do the stuff the others don't want to touch

let them stay in their comfort zones

where's there's muck in .net there's MilanB.

Milan.

Comment

Milan, I see a lot of demand for .Net people at the moment.

But maybe not as cushy as your current gig.

Where in Europe are you working again?

I would not worry too much about finding new work. Not now and not later.

The only challenge is to find a comfortable contract where the working conditions are good.

cheers
              "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

AP luv,

yes one week from home one week from the office for the last 3,5 years

funny thing is, I share all the doco, I write doco, share everything and still the bob's don't want to take over from me

latest bob working with me told me today if they ask him to take over he'll tell them to keep me for another 6 months for handover otherwise he'll find another project within the company

it's a funny old world

simple strategy do the stuff the others don't want to touch

let them stay in their comfort zones

where's there's muck in .net there's MilanB.

Milan.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                  Milan, I see a lot of demand for .Net people at the moment.

But maybe not as cushy as your current gig.

Where in Europe are you working again?

I would not worry too much about finding new work. Not now and not later.

The only challenge is to find a comfortable contract where the working conditions are good.

cheers
                  You know the rules TS!

Shhhhhh.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

Comment

it's a funny old world
                    Milan.
                    In other words your job is so dull/boring/lacking in a future that even Bob won't touch it with a barge pole?

Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X