• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dodgy Contract or is it permanent???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodgy Contract or is it permanent???

Looking for some advice on any kind of rights I may have a contractor here. I took on a role back in Nov that was advertised as being permanent with one of the top companies in the country. I was told by the agency that sold me the job that I would be a permanent member of staff for them and that even if the role I was working in which is a project finished they would place me in another project. I was told that by going on with this agency was the only way into this top UK company. Once I started I found out that this agency was actually charging a huge daily rate to the company about 2 times what I was making. However I cant see whole this can be fair as I thought most agencies only take about a 12% cut? Also once I started I spoke to the project manager and was told that this is just a contract role and that the project already had a fixed term of two years. So I feel that through the whole interview process I was lied to about this role being permanent when it very well was not. To make matters worst I found out that this agency has no other contract around the area I currently live in so once this project is finished I either have to move to wherever they want or give up my permanent role. Once I took on the role I found out that I should be earning alot more money based on the fact that I have no real job security. I am on a lower wage than most contractors because of the false use of the word permanent and I have no job security as once the project finishes I will be finished with them. Has anyone else been in this situation? Is there anything that can be done about this miss sold job? Any suggestions? Do I have any rights? Is there any legal difference between a permanent and contract position?

Additionally I have found out that my "agency" may just be a limited/brolly company of a larger UK agency (without my knowledge) is there anyway to find this out for definate as I dont trust a word this company says. The "agency" has no webpage posted so I really know nothing about their back ground or standing. I have tried to google it but have reach a dead end.

Any help would be useful!

How sad, I can even tell you which agency you work for.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by molie
      Looking for some advice on any kind of rights I may have a contractor here. I took on a role back in Nov that was advertised as being permanent with one of the top companies in the country. ...I am on a lower wage than most contractors because of the false use of the word permanent and I have no job security as once the project finishes I will be finished with them.
      Did you take this on the basis that it was a "permanent" job? Would you be ok with the remuneration if it were a "permanent" job? Is it in fact a "permanent" job, i.e. what does your contract say?

If it says it's a contract, but it pays permie rates, but you took it on because you believed something that an agent told you in order to get you to take it, well ......

Comment

As a contractor you have very few rights, however from your post it appears to me that you actually want to be an employee.

When you took this role did you receive a formal contract of employment or a contract for services ? (if you dont know the difference then use google)

Were you submitting timesheets to an agency signed by your "boss" which were needed before you got paid ?....if so did you not think this was a little strange for a permanent position.

After you started you found out the agency were taking twice as much as you were getting.....did you not think this was also strange for a permanent position ?

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
          After you started you found out the agency were taking twice as much as you were getting.....did you not think this was also strange for a permanent position ?
          Actually I'm not sure that this is strange, if you are employed by a body shop calling itself a software house. One reason not to be so employed.

Comment

Not sure I understand!
            Are you permy but contracted to a client site by your employer?

Comment

Originally posted by expat
              Actually I'm not sure that this is strange, if you are employed by a body shop calling itself a software house. One reason not to be so employed.

fair point expat - but its the "Dodgy Agency Ltd" that is taking double rate not "Legit Software House Ltd"

In my permie days,the consultancy I worked for (truly as a permie) were charging me out at at least twice per day what I was earning, however this was none of my concern as I was a permie with the rights of a permie.

Comment

Yes took it as permanent

Originally posted by expat
                Did you take this on the basis that it was a "permanent" job? Would you be ok with the remuneration if it were a "permanent" job? Is it in fact a "permanent" job, i.e. what does your contract say?

If it says it's a contract, but it pays permie rates, but you took it on because you believed something that an agent told you in order to get you to take it, well ......
                Yes I did take the role on as permanent as we have been told we will get a bonus / health care/ and a pension we pay into ( no contribution from them). The contract says it is PERMANENT! I know it is daliy rates because I have seen the agreement letter that the agency sent to the UK company.

Comment

My advise is to get your coat and leave the office without saying a word. Then go home and get another job. Perhaps crack a beer and watch a bit of daytime TV like Trisha (it's been a while) and watch your mobile go to answerphone while your 'employer' tries to find out WTF you've gone...
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by Phoenix
                    Not sure I understand!
                    Are you permy but contracted to a client site by your employer?
                    Yeah I think. Have you ever heard of this? I havent! And didnt know this when I first took on the role.

Comment

Working...
                    X