• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain loses out to Climate Change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain loses out to Climate Change

BBC News - UK set for high end climate costs, as floods spread

The UK is likely to feel bigger costs from climate change than most other EU countries, a report concludes.

Rising sea levels are likely to impact the nation harder than most, negating economic benefits from increased tourism and possibly farm yields.

Where do they get this stuff from? A fortune cookie?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

Richard Black, Environment correspondent for the BBC News has kids to feed don't you know.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

It's not like the BBC to peddle complete tosh, so it must be true, mustn't it?

Comment

5degrees C and a near one metre rise in sea levels in the next 70 years ?

its worse than we thought

from now on, i will get my climate facts from ITV, the weathers always nicer over there as well
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

It's as easy as ABC...

(A) The head of Pension Investments for the £8billion BBC Pension Trust since 2000 -> Peter Dunscombe

(B) The Chairman of the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC) with €3.7trillion assets -> Peter Dunscombe

(C) IIGCC membership includes -> BBC Pension Trust Ltd

Follow the money...
          If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
            It's as easy as ABC...

(A) The head of Pension Investments for the £8billion BBC Pension Trust since 2000 -> Peter Dunscombe

(B) The Chairman of the Institutional Investors Group on Climate Change (IIGCC) with €3.7trillion assets -> Peter Dunscombe

(C) IIGCC membership includes -> BBC Pension Trust Ltd

Follow the money...
            <Serious question>
            Have you thought about working for "Private Eye"?
            </Serious question>

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              <Serious question>
              </Serious question>
              Pah! Just look at his avatar.

Bert & Ernie have been searching for two years to my knowledge and they still haven't worked out the naked bird is behind them.
              Last edited by RichardCranium; 3 February 2011, 07:59.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

BBC Trust statements (in addition to HyperD's BBC Pension Trust facts):

A review on what science is, politics and acceptable sources for content:
                Richard Tait, BBC Trustee and Chair of the Trust's Editorial Standards Committee (ESC), said:

"Heated debate in recent years around topics like climate change, GM crops and the MMR vaccine reflects this, and BBC reporting has to steer a course through these controversial issues while remaining impartial.

The review will assess news and factual output that refers to scientific findings, particularly science output relating to current public policy and matters of political controversy.

For the purposes of the review, "science" will be defined to include not just the natural sciences but also those aspects of technology, medicine and the environment that entail scientific statements, research findings or other claims made by scientists.
                The Trust's Head of Communication:

BBC Trust - Mark Devane appointed Head of Communications, BBC Trust
                07 January 2009

Mark Devane has been appointed Head of Communications for the BBC Trust, the independent governing body of the BBC, and will take up his post in April.

Mark Devane has been Head of News at Defra since December 2007, intially filling the post on an acting basis before being permanently appointed to the role. He joined Defra as Chief Press Officer, Environment and Climate Change in March 2007.
                Last edited by RichardCranium; 3 February 2011, 08:00.
                My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Tinfoil hats everyone.

I do need to scotch one particularly bizarre bit of blogbabble, though. Some bloggers depict me as a puppet for the BBC’s pension fund trustees trying to boost their investments in green technology.

This is definitely going in my book – it is the most entertaining and baroque allegation I’ve ever faced. The truth is that BBC bosses issue very few diktats and most programme editors are stubbornly independent. I offered the recent Met Office stories from my own contacts and knowledge. No-one else asked me to do them. I don’t even know the pension fund trustees.

There are some very clever and inventive people out there in the blogosphere. Some are laudably engaged in a pursuit of facts about climate change and weather. Others might serve more use by trying to locate Elvis.
                  Roger Harrabin

Those pesky conspiracists need to get their act together .....
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                    <Serious question>
                    </Serious question>
                    No, but I used to subscribe to the organ years back and it was quite an entertaining read. Quite liked the letters section and the pseudonames. I think it's slowly being overshadowed by some up and coming blogs on political and corporate tittle tattle.

Have also cancelled my telly tax as it was becoming a poor return on investment. Apart from the amusing computer generated faux threatening letters and a couple of salesmen from Capita coming as far as the notice of implied right of access denied, I've had no problems whatsoever.
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X