• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US car Hire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US car Hire

Off to Florida shortly and needing to hire a car.

Car itself only around £100 for the week.

Add on Sat Nav and price increases by 50%!

Anything I need to worry about insurance wise etc, and anyone used any firms / comparison websites that actually include the satnav so I can get a more accurate quote?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post

Anything I need to worry about insurance wise etc, and anyone used any firms / comparison websites that actually include the satnav so I can get a more accurate quote?
    If you have an iPhone, download CoPilot USA (£2.99). I also take my iPhone TomTom cradle with me.

If you don't have an iPhone, ignore me....
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Pay for your car hire in the UK and then negotiate a cheap upgrade when you arrive in the states.

Btw, "Moral Turpitude" is still an offence in the USA.

I'm sure we'll all wait with baited breath for you to regale us with your tales of woe.
      Last edited by Churchill; 3 February 2011, 11:21.

Comment

£100 for a week? What sort of go-kart are you going to get for £100, you Pov?

Tip for US car hire is to book one grade down from the grade of car you actually want and then take advantage of the upgrade offer at the desk.

Oh and buy one of those old fashioned Map things to help you get around. You don't need a Sat Nav in Florida.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Have a look at Alamo car hire

Regarding the insurance, get the most comprehensive cover you can.

I'm looking at downloading Orlando maps for my sat nav so we don't have to pay daft amounts for hire.

Comment

You can also get the cheapo USA Co Pilot down load for Android. Be ready for the very hard sell at the car pick up desk. I find it really annoying all the extras they try to force on to you. If you agree to a car upgrade, bargain very hard. I got an upgrade for US$10 a day when it started out at US$100 for example. The other rip off they try to con you into is to pay for breakdown cover which as far as I know you already have if the thing breaks down. One last thing, many of the cars have a tag now that debits your credit card automatically on the toll roads. Naturally, there is a hefty admin fee to use this. Best to go into the pay lane and pay by cash.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post

Oh and buy one of those old fashioned Map things to help you get around. You don't need a Sat Nav in Florida.
              WHS. In the USA they have straight roads going north-south, and straight roads going east-west. Anyone who lives on a bendy road is likely to be a rabid right wing hillbilly who votes for Sarah Palin and shoots anyone he deems to be a communist, a 'mooslim' or a 'Yurruppean'.

HTH
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Don't they have buses over there??

Comment

Originally posted by Dearnla View Post
                  Don't they have buses over there??
                  They've got the front of one in the Smithsonian museum

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
                    £100 for a week? What sort of go-kart are you going to get for £100, you Pov?

Tip for US car hire is to book one grade down from the grade of car you actually want and then take advantage of the upgrade offer at the desk.

And don't forget the most indispensable holiday item second only to a towel - a compass. Not a digital one, but one that costs about £2 and runs without power or WIFI or internet connection.

Comment

Working...
                    X