• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Secret Life of Waves.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Secret Life of Waves.

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - The Secret Life of Waves

Yet another prog I've dozed through.

Not enough guns.

But I now know the difference between capilliary waves & gravity waves.

For all the good that's going to do.

Let's hope you don't do much fishing in a small boat near a beach then.

That moment when you stop bobbing and start moving is always an interesting one..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Let's hope you don't do much fishing in a small boat near a beach then.

That moment when you stop bobbing and start moving is always an interesting one..
      He knows, he's Welsh; he catches his supper in a coracle!

Really, the ignorance around here.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        He knows, he's Welsh
        zeity I know a good libel lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          zeity I know a good libel lawyer.
          I don't usually kick tulip out of people for free but I'll make an exception for lawyers.

Comment

Anyway, sounds like an interesting programme; can't watch it from Holland on t'internet, but usually these programmes turn up on youtube within a few days.

I was watching 'who gets the best jobs' instead.

Comment

Tried watching it, but couldn't resist the urge to do a bit of surfing while they were burbling on.

No mention of proper wave mechanics as far as I could tell, just layman stuff.

The tone was set by using the Flatford Mill pond (aka the Constable work known by the masses) to create a few waves. The local mill pond would have done (well, if there were any mills left).
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Who is Charlie?

Enquiring minds wish to know.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Did it mention J S Russell's solitons ?

(A good example of a discovery made way ahead of its time)
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

It is presumably that programme where I learnt that the sound of waves is caused by bubbles rather than the water itself, which kind of makes sense (I listened to it as I nodded off at night) as creating the conditions where sound might be created without air being present would present some difficulties. Put some water in a vacuum flask and there'd soon be an atmosphere created, or freeze it and it's not water of the wavey sort.

Comment

Working...
                    X