• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewed Vs Offered...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewed Vs Offered...

Hi

I had a rather dull thought before, and was wondering how one would fair compared to other Contractors when attending interviews, against the number of roles one would get offered.

I reckon over the last 12 years I've had 12 Contracts and had 16 or 17 interviews, so that would be a 'Success' rate of around 70 to 75%.

I think this is OK, but as a rule would one assume that they may get offered only 1 in 5 roles, or would others assume they will land every one they go for.

Interesting to hear opinions & stats...

I don't think you can read anything into it. people with 1/1 ratio may just be pitching themselves too low or have some unique desirable skill, people with a low ratio may be thick as bricks or always pushing some boundary that is not obvious (moving areas a lot, or holding out for that extra £5 a day or whatever)

fyi my current ratio is 0/0 but my permy record is 3 interviews/2 offers... I was aiming low

Comment

For my last 10 interview I have been offered 9 of the roles. I'm fairly confident now that if I get an interview I will get an offer.

Comment

I'm sure some people will claim a 100% record, I'd guess at least 50% of those claims are total bovine excretion.

I'd say my offer to interview percentage is in the 75-80% region, but in all honesty I've never counted. I couldn't tell you how many contracts I've had in the last 20 years off the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          I'm sure some people will claim a 100% record, I'd guess at least 50% of those claims are total bovine excretion.
          I've got a 100% success rate.

Only had one interview so far though...

Comment

I wonder what the 'roles applied for/roles interviewed for' ratios are like tho! I'll apply for anything!

Comment

Roles applied for - interviews ratio is about 1-50 !! Have to take into account numbers of fake/speculative/never happen jobs though.
              Interview wise - career % is about 75% although I have been offered the last 7 roles I have interviewed for.
              I am a lot better at them these days.

Comment

34 offers out of 35 interviews over 14 years.

I've been gobbing off about my 100% record for the last decade. Failed my first interview last year when
                I decided to step out of my comfort zone.

As mentioned above and pointed out to me a high ratio indicates your so far back in your
                comfort zone you're still on the sofa!

I find most of the contracts I do
                so boring I keep moving.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I keep a spreadsheet of all roles I apply for, because I'm a massive massive geek.

Someone once said a ratio of 1/20 was pretty decent for applications to interviews, and I applied for 22 roles the first time round.

Another thing to question is the ratio of applications to agencies sending off your CV. Of the 6 roles I've applied for this time round, I've had 2 agencies come back to me (though 3 have only been sent in the last hour).

I like to work on pretty healthy averages, and tailor my approach for each role to give me a decent chance. A scattergun approach might work for some people, but I don't have bags of experience, so have to try extra hard to make my CV stand out I think.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                    I keep a spreadsheet of all roles I apply for, because I'm a massive massive geek.

Someone once said a ratio of 1/20 was pretty decent for applications to interviews, and I applied for 22 roles the first time round.

Another thing to question is the ratio of applications to agencies sending off your CV. Of the 6 roles I've applied for this time round, I've had 2 agencies come back to me (though 3 have only been sent in the last hour).

I like to work on pretty healthy averages, and tailor my approach for each role to give me a decent chance. A scattergun approach might work for some people, but I don't have bags of experience, so have to try extra hard to make my CV stand out I think.
                    Same thing. Applications to interviews for me is around 5 to 1. I may only apply to 10 roles in a given week while benched. Others use the scatter gun approach. 100's of applications/emails.

I prefer to filter down first and target. This is an argument both approachs work, but I think the scatter gun is detrimental in the long term.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X