PDA

View Full Version : Red Nose Day - March 18th

Alf W
3rd February 2011, 16:30
Oh joy.

Here's £20 now f*** off and leave me alone.

MaryPoppins
3rd February 2011, 16:36
Ditto.

Minus the twenty quid.

TykeMerc
3rd February 2011, 16:48
Ditto.

Minus the twenty quid.

WSS.

I have the same reaction to all TV begathons.

pacharan
3rd February 2011, 16:50
Thank the lord that I am no longer in an environment where I will be cajoled into spending the day wearing my underpants over my trousers upon pain of forfeiting more money than I care to give to Lenny Henry.

BoredBloke
3rd February 2011, 16:55
Out of all of them, red nose day is about the only slightly entertaining one. It's just annoying that they keep showing clips with starving kids and people living on the streets all the time. It really spoils the comedy!

Children in need has to be the worst though. Wall to wall z listers trying to get you to part with money and bombarding you with really shit TV

thunderlizard
3rd February 2011, 16:56
You should have seen the bloke in Sainsbury's filling the display full of motion-activated laughing furry noses yesterday. Trying to do his job inconspicuously with about 50 of these things chuckling away all at once.

Churchill
3rd February 2011, 16:58
Thank the lord that I am no longer in an environment where I will be cajoled into spending the day wearing my underpants over my trousers upon pain of forfeiting more money than I care to give to Lenny Henry.

That's not very christian, what would Jesus think?

wobbegong
3rd February 2011, 17:00

He would forgive him.

:D

d000hg
3rd February 2011, 17:07
That's not very christian, what would Jesus think?That giving your money to sooth your conscience from not doing anything was fairly shallow?

Churchill
3rd February 2011, 17:12

That giving your money to sooth your conscience from not doing anything was fairly shallow?

Surely by giving, you are doing something. Aha! Your turn!

MaryPoppins
3rd February 2011, 17:27
That giving your money to sooth your conscience from not doing anything was fairly shallow?

Self righteous so and so.

TykeMerc
3rd February 2011, 17:32
Oh, I do donate to a few charities fairly regularly, but they're not the h00ge ones or those that run these crappy begathons. It's nothing to do with religion or any feelings of guilt to me. One of the reasons I utterly despise the begathons is they do their best to get people feeling guilty.

For instance there's a local hospice that helped a neighbour I knew well die with dignity, gift aid donated too of course.

MaryPoppins
3rd February 2011, 17:34
Oh, I do donate to a few charities fairly regularly, but they're not the h00ge ones or those that run these crappy begathons. It's nothing to do with religion or any feelings of guilt to me. One of the reasons I utterly despise the begathons is they do their best to get people feeling guilty.

For instance there's a local hospice that helped a neighbour I knew well die with dignity, gift aid donated too of course.

Yeah, same.

<Cue all the billy big kn0bs posting about how much they donate 'anonymously'>

d000hg
3rd February 2011, 17:47
Surely by giving, you are doing something. Aha! Your turn!But you're giving to cleanse your guilt at not actually getting your hands dirty, especially if the money you give isn't really affecting your life, as giving time would.

Self righteous so and so.I didn't say I was any different ;)

d000hg
3rd February 2011, 17:49
For instance there's a local hospice that helped a neighbour I knew well die with dignity, gift aid donated too of course.You should pass that place onto Wilmslow's neighbours.

Churchill
3rd February 2011, 17:50
But you're giving to cleanse your guilt at not actually getting your hands dirty, especially if the money you give isn't really affecting your life, as giving time would.
I didn't say I was any different ;)

I've got my hands dirty earning the money. Also, it doesn't matter how dirty I get my hands that isn't going to magically produce a gallon of polio vaccine, is it?

xoggoth
3rd February 2011, 18:48
If you have a central heating oil tank a red nose is great for marking the level, clips onto the sight level tube nicely.

Some bloke came to the door trying to get me to supply my bank details for a charitable donation the other day. Right. Even if it was genuine they should know better than to be doing that.

xoggoth
3rd February 2011, 18:52
Most who actually work for charities get some satisfaction or self help out of doing it. Nowt wrong with that. Largely manned by people with mental health problems and the bored/lonely retired in my experience.

northernladuk
3rd February 2011, 19:12
What would be comedy is an undercover reporter found that a chinese sweat shop is making the noses and is mainly staffed by dirty starving children on 10p a day. Now that would be a story!

OwlHoot
3rd February 2011, 19:12

"The Poor will be with us always"

northernladuk
3rd February 2011, 19:17

The thing for me and I am sure it is the same in Tykes post is giving voluntarily. I will never be asked or emotionally blackmailed in to doing so. The best way to keep my wallet firmly closed it rattle a tin under my nose (which is technically illegal as it is begging I believe) or show me pictures of unfortunates and then hold your hand out.

When I do give I give because I want to for my reasons. End of.

MarillionFan
3rd February 2011, 19:23
I tend not to give to people rattling tins or sitting in custard. Couple of times a year I'll give a couple hundred quid to a charity online or sponsor somebody I know. More based on as if
something triggers something. Rattling and tv don't
do it.

Cliphead
3rd February 2011, 19:28
I did a gig on live TV for Children in Need a few years back, two songs networked to the whole of UK. Fine, went well, did our bit etc. Was a bit shocked to receive a cheque from the beeb a month later for a four figure sum, not for the whole band just me. Wonder what the big name bands and artists got paid, so much for a charity gig.

MarillionFan
3rd February 2011, 19:29
I did a gig on live TV for Children in Need a few years back, two songs networked to the whole of UK. Fine, went well, did our bit etc. Was a bit shocked to receive a cheque from the beeb a month later for a four figure sum, not for the whole band just me. Wonder what the big name bands and artists got paid, so much for a charity gig.

Where's the YouTube link?

Cliphead
3rd February 2011, 19:31
Where's the YouTube link?

Poor recording;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTEwmeHVEI

MarillionFan
3rd February 2011, 19:34
Poor recording;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTEwmeHVEI

Poor workmen ;-)

A few years ago you said. I was thinking 2007/2008. 14 years. Time flies hey!

Cliphead
3rd February 2011, 20:05
Poor workmen ;-)

A bit of background to that gig. I had joined the band two days previously and we'd managed one rehearsal. The band was made up of members of other big name bands and put together as a temporary exercise but we stayed together for years anyway and still meet up for the occasional gig.

The live broadcast from the beeb studios was surreal to say the least, we'd had a soundcheck earlier in the day which went well. As it was broadcast no sound went front of house so the audience couldn't hear us despite how it looks, a floor manager was conducting the response. We had no sound from the monitors on stage so we couldn't hear ourselves and being all acoustic for that gig didn't help. You'll see me glancing along the lineup looking for visual clues as to timing.

All that plus hairspray and makeup although the gals in makeup were superb, a story or two there...

The party afterwards was the highlight jamming with the other bands that were doing the same live performance that night, if that had been broadcast or even recorded it would really be worthy of a YouTube moment.

Beeb sound guys are crap.

d000hg
3rd February 2011, 21:22
I've got my hands dirty earning the money.Sitting in a comfy chair drinking espresso, the only dirt on your hands is from melting chocolate on your biscuits ;)

Question to all: which would you rather give away, an hour of your time or an hour of your rate?

MaryPoppins
3rd February 2011, 21:33
Sitting in a comfy chair drinking espresso, the only dirt on your hands is from melting chocolate on your biscuits ;)

Question to all: which would you rather give away, an hour of your time or an hour of your rate?

An hour of my time. I want to try a bit of voluntary work this year; I had no idea what sort of thing to look at until my mate mentioned she is going to work with stroke victims and asked me to go with her. Talking to them to help them recover, or something.

Ruprect
3rd February 2011, 21:37
I'll probably donate a few quid. It's for a good cause and you get a good evening's entertainment.

RichardCranium
3rd February 2011, 21:44
An hour of my time. I want to try a bit of voluntary work this year

volunteering (in IT) (http://forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/45430-volunteering.html)

Projects while benched (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/42224-projects-while-benched.html#post842603)

d000hg
3rd February 2011, 21:51
MP, Wilmslow will volunteer to be your "stroke victim".

Cliphead
3rd February 2011, 21:54
I worked for Citizen's Advice as a volunteer until the contracting got in the way. Very rewarding work and to be recommended if you have the time.

MarillionFan
3rd February 2011, 22:14
Sitting in a comfy chair drinking espresso, the only dirt on your hands is from melting chocolate on your biscuits ;)

An hour of your time or a fiver which ever is more.

So it be will be a fiver then.

MaryPoppins
4th February 2011, 08:29
volunteering (in IT) (http://forums.contractoruk.com/business-contracts/45430-volunteering.html)

Projects while benched (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/42224-projects-while-benched.html#post842603)

Not much use for me, I'm about as techy as a carrot. Not sure stroke victims will welcome my chit chat but what can they do?

d000hg
4th February 2011, 08:45
Not sure stroke victims will welcome my chit chat but what can they do?That's rather dark for you MP. Well done :yay:

MaryPoppins
4th February 2011, 08:53
That's rather dark for you MP. Well done :yay:

I'm insulted - I'm the princess of darkness?!

BoredBloke
4th February 2011, 09:37

There's money in helping the starving....look at how much Geldof is worth - a shitload more than the other Boomtown Rats!!