• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newsagents tactics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newsagents tactics

I popped in to my local newsagents this morning to pay for my Daily Mail delivery and it was £80. My newsagent has started adding an extra 10p a day delivery charge to my newspaper stating that with the cost of rising fuel it was getting more expensive to deliver.

WTF is that all about? A spotty 14 year old on a push bike delivers my newspaper!!!

Should I cancel?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

As a pillar of local commerce yourself, I'm surprised you don't support your fellow shop-keepers.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I usually pick up the Sun on the way to work rather than have it delivered.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

My local newsagent told me he makes 90% of his money from deliveries, he was always tempted to close the shop, get a lock up and run the papers from that. He used to buy ciggies from the Haddows 2 shops down and sell them for 1 pence more.

I doubt as many people these days get newspapers delivered during the week.

Comment

Airport newsagents are on to a good thing, though no doubt their rates reflect it. A fancied a bottled coke, but wasn't prepared to pay 3 times the usual price, and it was not much cheaper once inside security. I opted to produce dark yellow/orange/brown pee instead, when I did eventually pee despite ingesting vast quantities of liquids. They will snatch any liquids off you when you go through security too. Neat!

Comment

You drank your wee rather than pay for a coke?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              You drank your wee rather than pay for a coke?
              I was wondering the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Airport newsagents are on to a good thing, though no doubt their rates reflect it. A fancied a bottled coke, but wasn't prepared to pay 3 times the usual price, and it was not much cheaper once inside security. I opted to produce dark yellow/orange/brown pee instead, when I did eventually pee despite ingesting vast quantities of liquids. They will snatch any liquids off you when you go through security too. Neat!
                Dar Es Salaam airport security let me through with two bottles of Coke, despite the big notice saying no more than 100ml liquids. I offered the bottles to the security guy and he said 'that's coca cola and I'm not stupid; you're not going to blow up a plane with that, carry on Sir'.

A haven of common sense in a world that is going completely mad.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  he said 'that's coca cola and I'm not stupid; you're not going to blow up a plane with that, carry on Sir'.
                  You could have done if you'd had a packet of mints as well. Seen it on YouTube.

Comment

I wouldn't read the Daily Heil if they paid me too, I guess it takes all sorts
                    sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice - Asimov (sort of)

there is no art in a factory, not even in an art factory - Mixerman

everyone is stupid some of the time - trad.

Comment

Working...
                    X