• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visiting Dubai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting Dubai

Got some friends who moved out there a year ago and thought we'd visit... stay a few days with them and a few in a hotel perhaps. No doubt they will have an idea places to go and things to show us, but would like to get some ideas ourselves too.
    Has anyone here been there on work or holiday and can share anecdotes, recommend books/websites they found useful, etc?
    The cultural thing is one aspect I am a little unsure on, especially. I know my friends out there get rationed on alcohol allowance and she has to choose her attire a bit more carefully, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I thought I'd heard there were special zones with relaxed rules for tourists but maybe that's not accurate?

Thanks for any input, advice, stories, etc.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Got some friends who moved out there a year ago and thought we'd visit... stay a few days with them and a few in a hotel perhaps. No doubt they will have an idea places to go and things to show us, but would like to get some ideas ourselves too.
    Has anyone here been there on work or holiday and can share anecdotes, recommend books/websites they found useful, etc?
    The cultural thing is one aspect I am a little unsure on, especially. I know my friends out there get rationed on alcohol allowance and she has to choose her attire a bit more carefully, but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. I thought I'd heard there were special zones with relaxed rules for tourists but maybe that's not accurate?

Yes thanks. Had a great time, spent a sh!tload of money.

Don't get caught shagging on the beach.

In fact if you search this forum, a novel concept I know, you will find plenty of anecdotes, hints and tips.

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Shopping.

Can't really get anywhere without a car, think USA gated estates. But driving in Dubai can be dangerous.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Crikey where abouts are they living??!!

My cousin lives in the city centre - no rationing.

Buy Beer and spirits on your way into Dubai at the airport there - not mega expensive and as long as it's in bags and the locals can't see it, it's fine. We put Beer & Champagne etc in our minibar in the hotel - no one said a word to us.

There is only one pub in Dubai that isn't part of a hotel and it's been there forever, since Dubai was just sand. It's great for a Thursday night and they do good food too.

Sensible clothing is necessary - walking around malls etc, strappy tops not advised and anyway the bloody air-con would freeze you to death!

A trip on the creek is nice as is the museum and the Grand Mosque - the fountains at the Burj Khalifa are worth a look apparantly bigger than the Bellagio in Las Vegas (dunno though, never been) -

The beach is amazing and most of the hotels have private beaches.

Buy a guide book - there is tulip loads to do and tulip loads to spend your money on

All this talk of holidays.... I need one!!
          Last edited by cailin maith; 4 February 2011, 09:50.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
            Shopping.

Can't really get anywhere without a car, think USA gated estates. But driving in Dubai can be dangerous.
            Agree with AP re car but Taxi's are numerous and cheap so you don't need to hire one.

Mostly you need a car to escape the heat.

Driving is an experience. I didn't do it my self but my brother picked me up from Abu Dhabi and drove me back to his place and the trip was bloody scary - comfy though in a big f<ck off 4x4
            Bazza gets caught
            Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

EO has some warnings about a friend of his who went to Dubai.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                as long as it's in bags and the locals can't see it, it's fine.
                Quiet.

And if they happen to see it then you'll get your head chopped off.

Comment

Dubai is fab

I've been to Dubai several times, mostly on holiday but a couple of times for work. The rules are very straightforward.

Don't take the p1ss. It's still a muslim country, even if it is more relaxed. Drinking in the hotels is fine, don't do it walking down the street.

Dress reasonably conservatively, but no need to cover from head to toe. Definitely not too much exposed flesh (both sexes), except on the beach of course.

Everyone I met was courteous, friendly and hospitable. Be the same back and all will be well.

It feels very safe there. Except when you are driving, which is definitely a contact sport. To be avoided unless you feel very brave.

Most of the good hotels (and there are many) have a car service which is great.

Jumeirah beach is lovely again, now they've sorted out the sewage problems.

There is a huge amount to do there and I would thoroughly recommend the desert safari in 4*4. Great fun. The malls are great, but once you've been to one..........

Lots of good restaurants.

It's pricey but great for a short break. I've stayed at the Burj Al Arab, the Mina A'Salam and the Dar al Masyaf and friends have stayed at the Marriot and the Wave (The Jumeirah Beach hotel) and said they were great. The Burj is a real "experience" but not a great holiday hotel IMO. Better off at the Dar al Masyaf or Mina A'Salam (same complex - Madinat Jumeirah) as the complex is great - you get around it on boats. Good food and great pools.

Best time to go is October through April (more temperate) but if you like it hot (and I do mean 50c hot) then the rest of the year is great too.

I find it's similar to Vegas in that too much of it is not desirable. I enjoyed it both times when I went for 5 nights but I spent 10 nights in Vegas and it was too much. I spent 8 nights in Dubai and I had definitely had enough. Sensory overload.

It is a blast, however, and I for one would recommend it.

Pastalista

Comment

Don't get your cheque bounced...

Comment

Working...
                    X