• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Practicalities of Remote/Home Office Euro-Working?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Practicalities of Remote/Home Office Euro-Working?

Ok this is a question (well more of a musing really) for you EuroCommuters.

There is a growing trend in my field for big gigs on the continent which I'm getting
    more and more calls about. I don't really want to do the 4/5 day weekly commute
    thing (which is partly why I took the easy permie commute into London) so I'm wondering
    whether working remotely is generally becoming a more accepted option across your respective
    fields if clientcos aren't getting the people they need. To make it more workable for me, and palatable
    for clientcos, I'm thinking of pitching something like.

- work from home office with all phone / camera connectivity needed for low rate
    - occasional commute to clientco at excessive rate + t&es

If you are doing it (or you are a hiring clientco) - how is it working for you?

Here in Holland I've found it's OK if you've first built up a relationship of trust with clientco, but I haven't come across a clientco who'll allow it from day one.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I'm usually sat in my pants on Mon & Fri. I get the last flights out on Mon & Thurs so the weekend is not affected.

I do this most weeks and client has no problem with it.

Working from home not an issue for the client although I like to be seen on site to find out what's really happening. I could travel less but I wouldn't be as effective (IMHO).

Edit: forgot to add, I charge the same rate regardless. I like the client to think that they get the same service regardless and for me it all balances out. I charge an all in rate except for flights and don't really care where they ask me to go. If they sent me some where uber expensive I'd make a bit of a fuss about costs etc but TBH I'm very happy with my rate so don't feel the need to push the issue.

YMMV etc.
      Last edited by Pondlife; 4 February 2011, 11:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Here in Holland I've found it's OK if you've first built up a relationship of trust with clientco, but I haven't come across a clientco who'll allow it from day one.
        Yeah it worked out well when I was in NL last year.
        Easy hop over and I finished up doing 2 days/week offsite.

If it weren't for missus / family commitments etc etc I'd do
        more of it. But such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
          Ok this is a question (well more of a musing really) for you EuroCommuters.

There is a growing trend in my field for big gigs on the continent which I'm getting
          more and more calls about. I don't really want to do the 4/5 day weekly commute
          thing (which is partly why I took the easy permie commute into London) so I'm wondering
          whether working remotely is generally becoming a more accepted option across your respective
          fields if clientcos aren't getting the people they need. To make it more workable for me, and palatable
          for clientcos, I'm thinking of pitching something like.

- work from home office with all phone / camera connectivity needed for low rate
          - occasional commute to clientco at excessive rate + t&es

If you are doing it (or you are a hiring clientco) - how is it working for you?
          I'm doing it, but not in a different country as such.

I live in a remote area in Scotland and Client Co is in Halifax, West Yorks.

I have a long standing relationship with the client and as Mitch says, that's pretty important, or it was in my case anyway.

It can be done though. I offered a 10% cut in day rate for the time spent WFH but also negotiated full rate plus expenses and paid travelling time for office based time. I'm currently doing 3 from 4 weeks at home.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            I'm usually sat in my pants on Mon & Fri. I get the last flights out on Mon & Thurs so the weekend is not affected.

I do this most weeks and client has no problem with it.

Working from home not an issue for the client although I like to be seen on site to find out what's really happening. I could travel less but I wouldn't be as effective (IMHO).
            WHS

I even do this for UK gigs, on site tues-thurs and WFH on monday and friday
            Clients generally don't have a problem with it as long as there is an agreement for the arrangement to be flexible
            I'd hate to be at home 100% of the time, you miss out on a lot of communication that way
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              WHS

Clients generally don't have a problem with it as long as there is an agreement for the arrangement to be flexible
              I'd hate to be at home 100% of the time, you miss out on a lot of communication that way
              Crown lounge is boring these days mate.

Comment

Wasn't an option for me in Geneva. One of the reasons I eventually left. But then not an option here either!
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

As a PM it's fairly irrelevant where I'm located, so long as I have good comms links I could be on planet Zog, that being said the majority of clients tend to think in bum on seat terms.

I'm lucky that the client for my previous and current gig doesn't really cater for bums on seats except for technical teams and a few bits of management so apart from the occasional meeting and client meetings I'm based from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    WHS

WSCS. I think you need to build the relationship first before embarking on remote working.

Sat here in my wifes knickers at the moment. Bit tight though.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X