• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Criminal conviction and travelling to the US

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criminal conviction and travelling to the US

I'm just back from a few weeks in the US working with the client and they're talking about going back in about 8 weeks.

The problem is I didn't declare I had a criminal conviction when I went last month. I know it's stupid, but I didn't want the client to know, it was quite last minute and thought it would be a one off.

Now I realised I should have declared & I'm really nervous about it. I chanced my arm and got away with it, but I don't think I will next time.

Not sure what I should do here. I'm thinking I may just give notice on my contract so I don't have to go. I know if I declare I won't get in!

Would it be better to come clean?

Prove that you contain nuts!
    Tell the US immigration guys that it is none of their "£$£$%%^ business.

Declare nothing but rank and serial number.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
      Prove that you contain nuts!
      Tell the US immigration guys that it is none of their "£$£$%%^ business.

Declare nothing but rank and serial number.
      Seriously!

You think I don't need to tell them?

Comment

Depends on what you were done for TBH.

If it's not on the list of those required to be mentioned on the visa waiver form, I wouldn't worry.

If it is, you have three choices;

Blag it again - if you get pulled it's your last trip to the US.

Don't go - Make up some bsh1t reason for your client.

Apply through the proper channels and see what happens.

Comment

Risk it! If you got away with it once, chances are it either didn't flag up on their system or they don't care about it. If you do get caught out then resign. I'd be daft to throw a job away on a "what if".

Good luck.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by MayContainNuts View Post
            I'm just back from a few weeks in the US working with the client and they're talking about going back in about 8 weeks.

The problem is I didn't declare I had a criminal conviction when I went last month. I know it's stupid, but I didn't want the client to know, it was quite last minute and thought it would be a one off.

Now I realised I should have declared & I'm really nervous about it. I chanced my arm and got away with it, but I don't think I will next time.

Not sure what I should do here. I'm thinking I may just give notice on my contract so I don't have to go. I know if I declare I won't get in!

Would it be better to come clean?
            If you are looking for a serious answer in the General Forum, then you need to rethink your post.

Did you apply for a for a work permit for the work you carried out in the US of A?
            If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Forget to mention this.

You are NOT going there to work. You are there on business for some training, workshops and to understand why the yanks do things so well.

Never use the W word.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Never use the W word.
                ?
                "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Forget all that - what was the conviction and did you do hard time?
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                    ?
                    No, that one's fine as it's largly not understood overthere. IIRC Bono called Homer one in the Simpsons.

Comment

Working...
                    X