• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is a good deal on a used car?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a good deal on a used car?

I never seem to manage to come away with a good haggle so -

1.How can I be sure I'm not being ripped off (any more than usual) on a trade in price? I have used webuyanycar as a benchmark until now as in theory that's what a buyer will pay. I also usually get a paid for value on one of the interweb sites. I categorically cannot be bothered with a private sale.

2.What should I expect to get taken off the screen price of a used car (newer and more expensive than the one I'm chopping in)?

Whatever you can negotiate.
    WBAC will be the absolute, rock bottom price you should expect to get. If you go around three different places, you will get offered 3 different prices for part-ex.
    The Salesman will always ask what you looking for, what you got and what's your budget. He will then work out a cost to switch as a first offer, but he's got more in reserve. So be persistent and ask him for a better deal or his best offer - do not give him any figures as a stake in the ground.
    It's all about negotiating skills and tactics - goodness, I've got a one-day training course I do on the subject that only scratches the surface....

Comment

Or just relax and pay the screen price and take the rock bottom part-exchange value.

Wave a hand at the salesman like he's one of your lackys, whilst looking away.

You are a contractor after all.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Or just relax and pay the screen price and take the rock bottom part-exchange value.

Wave a hand at the salesman like he's one of your lackys, whilst looking away.

You are a contractor after all.
        That has been my approach up to the present, but I have become aware that I may be missing out..................

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          That has been my approach up to the present, but I have become aware that I may be missing out..................
          Missing out on what exactly? A free BJ?
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            Missing out on what exactly? A free BJ?
            Your negotiating skills far outshine mine. All I ever get is tank of fuel and an airfreshener.

Comment

I categorically cannot be bothered with a private sale.
              If you were serious about saving money and getting the absolute best deal you'd sell and buy privately.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                If you were serious about saving money and getting the absolute best deal you'd sell and buy privately.
                WHS - why do so many people these days seem so adverse to buying/selling privately?

We've been scanning the autotrader etc lately for a new (used) car and there seems to be far more traders than private sellers out there these days. Once upon a time it was the other way round... is it just that people can't be bothered and want/need a quick turn round?
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Your negotiating skills far outshine mine. All I ever get is tank of fuel and an airfreshener.
                  It used to be full tank of fuel, tax, mats and flaps and flowers when the car is collected.

Now you are lucky to get a tax disc holder

Comment

Actual trade in value counts for nothing.

Worry about the difference between trade in price and purchase price. That's what you'll be paying.

Also, if using finance (I know, a contractor shouldn't really) they will put whatever you negotiate up on your trade in on to your interest rate, so you'll end up paying the same anyway

Pay more attention to what you're actually paying (either in finance or cash) rather than trade in value.
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X