• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mayday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mayday

Mayday for May Day: bank holiday may move to 'best of British' October slot

Minister says swap would extend tourist season but unions see Tory plot to get rid of workers' day

Source: Mayday for May Day: bank holiday may move to 'best of British' October slot | World news | The Guardian

---

This would have never happened under Liebor!

HTH

BolshieBastard

What rubbish.

Somewhat amazingly, New Liebore abolished Labour Day and renamed it May Day.

It already happened under Labour.

Edit: I distinctly remember this happening, but I cannot find a link to a news story. Did I dream it?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 5 February 2011, 22:03. Reason: Doubting my own sanity. Wibble.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Wot??? No madrigals from Magdalen Tower?
      No pubs open at 6am??

One out, all out.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Why do we need bank holidays anyway

You can't do anything, you can't drive anywhere because the roads and airports are overcrowded

Why don't they abolish them all and just roll them into the statutory minimum holiday requirement

With the bonus that contractors would get more billable days
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
          Why do we need bank holidays anyway?

You can't do anything, you can't drive anywhere because the roads and airports are overcrowded

Why don't they abolish them all and just roll them into the statutory minimum holiday requirement
          The Richard Cranium Proposal (which I've been pushing since at least the early 1990s):

Everyone gets x days holiday (the existing 23 days or whatever it is) + y days Special Days (the existing 14 or so public holidays).

When you start a job, you have to tell your employer the dates for your Special Days when you start. From then on you MUST tell your employer when your future Special Days are AT LEAST 12 months in advance.

Your employer MUST give you those Special Days off. No debate. Provided you gave 12 months' notice, you get those dates.

That way, you can use them for Easter & Xmas, Diwali & Holi & Durga Puja, Passover & Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur, the day after England home matches, the local CAMRA festivals, extra holiday, shopping, Wimbledon, or whatever you bloody well want.

That way, almost all religions and secular activities are catered for.

Also, almost all businesses need never close since someone will be happy to come in and work.
          Last edited by RichardCranium; 5 February 2011, 22:04.
          My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            Why do we need bank holidays anyway

With the bonus that contractors would get more billable days
            WHS.

Bank holidays are an abomination.

Get rid of them.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Bank holidays are an abomination.

Get rid of them.
              Bank or holidays or both?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                The Richard Cranium Proposal (which I've been pushing since at least the early 1990s):

Everyone gets x days holiday (the existing 23 days or whatever it is) + y days Special Days (the existing 14 or so public holidays).

When you start a job, you have to tell your employer the dates for your Special Days when you start. From then on you MUST tell your employer when your future Special Days are AT LEAST 12 months in advance.

Your employer MUST give you those Special Days off. No debate. Provided you gave 12 months' notice, you get those dates.

That way, you can use them for Easter & Xmas, Diwali & Holi & Durga Puja, Passover & Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur, the day after England home matches, the local CAMRA festivals, extra holiday, shopping, Wimbledon, or whatever you bloody well want.

That way, almost all religions and secular activities are catered for.

Also, almost all businesses need never close since someone will be happy to come in and work.
                This get my vote, I hate wasting so much time at Christmas, rather have the days in the summer.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

To be fair there are lots of Bank Holidays in the Spring and almost none in the second half of the year prior to Christmas.

21st of October is Trafalgar day, that would do for a bank holiday date.

Comment

Bank holidays are, in my opinion, a total waste of time. Especially in the public sector where any week that has a bank holiday in it is a write off.

Christmas starts around mid December and finishes around January 10th (again in the public sector). I'm happy to have a couple of days off at Christmas but I hate the fact that it in essence turns into nearly two weeks. Not by choice but because the public sector takes the view that "we may as well close the offices down as so few people want to work and other departments aren't available either". I've had enough by December 27th and would be quite happy to return to work.

Same nonsense at Easter.

I think that we should abolish bank holidays (except for Christmas Day and New Years Day) and give everybody and extra one weeks' leave. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to.

Pastalista

Comment

Working...
                    X